bb102000
Newly Registered

PLEASE help me save my Bonsai tree...

Hello all. I am a new Bonsai owner (was given one for Mother's Day-5/14/06) and have wanted one for as long as I can remember. I have had the tree for nearly a month now and it's leaves have been turning yellow and falling off. Now it's lost about 2/3 of them.

I know that the tree was purchased at a nursery and is part of the Houston (TX) Bonsai Society. But, I do not know the Species. I have been keeping it indoors on my kitchen table which is surrounded by windows and expose it to plenty of natural light. I only water it when the soil has dried to the touch. I've heard the old saying, "Water once for the pot, once for the soil, once for the tree" and have done so and have also heard of immersing the pot in water, but don't really understand the concept since my Bonsai pot is so short and oblong shaped.

I mostly need help in identifying the species and figuring out the best conditions for it to prosper. The leaves are small, dark green (when healthy) and toothed. It's a single trunk that curves as well. The link to view a photo of my Bonsai is:

https://photos.yahoo.com/bb102000

Any and all advice will be appreciated!

Marie1uk

The photo does not really enable positive ID (try to do a close up of the leaf and twig structure). It looks like an elm or zelkova silhouette but I can't be sure (tried to blow it up to 300% but it loses clarity).

My recommendation is to keep the tree outside in part shade, keep the soil damp but not waterlogged (if you have been drenching it 3 times daily it may be a sign of root damage due to waterlogging), especially if your soil contains little or no grit. I have a Zelkova and it likes full sun in the UK (65-80 degrees) in Summer. Any hotter than this and I'd give it some shade in the hot afternoon sun and allow it to dry off a little between waterings. I water my Zelkova til water flows from the bottom but it also has about 30% grit in the mix too.

I have built myself a slatted bench for all my bonsai and have some shading overhead for more shade loving plants such as Yew and Rhodedendron. A slatted construction keeps air flowing all round the plant. If you keep it outside keep it off the ground to avoid nasty insects and pets.

Don't let the pot stand in water (you have a dish under the pot) and pooling under the drainage hole will just keep the soil very wet.

Let me know if it picks up (keep an eye on the drainage as you water it). Does the water flow from the bottom or is it a drip drip drip affair?

Good luck and best wishes,

Marie x

bb102000
Newly Registered

Marie,

Thanks for your insight. I truly appreciate it. I am trying to get a few better shots of it to post for viewing that may help in distinguishing its species. But, I think you may be right on with the pics you included.

I moved it outside the day I posted this request. It's up on a small table. I don't think I have been drenching it with water, but when the soil is dry (and doesn't stick to a toothpick) I do the water 3xs thing. I have removed the dish from undernearth it (that was only to protect my table). I have not noticed anymore yellowing YET. It tends to get quite hot here in Houston, TX (USA). It's already hitting 100 in June and I am sure July and Aug. will be hotter. So, I have it outside under my covered patio...I just wonder if it needs DIRECT sun along with the partial shade the cover is providing?

Anyway, I will keep you posted on how its doing. I sure hope I begin to see some prospering because it was so gorgeous when he first brought it home for me! I'd hate to be responsible for its demise!

Thanks again for your insight.

Barbara :D

[quote="Marie1uk"]The photo does not really enable positive ID (try to do a close up of the leaf and twig structure). It looks like an elm or zelkova silhouette but I can't be sure (tried to blow it up to 300% but it loses clarity).

My recommendation is to keep the tree outside in part shade, keep the soil damp but not waterlogged (if you have been drenching it 3 times daily it may be a sign of root damage due to waterlogging), especially if your soil contains little or no grit. I have a Zelkova and it likes full sun in the UK (65-80 degrees) in Summer. Any hotter than this and I'd give it some shade in the hot afternoon sun and allow it to dry off a little between waterings. I water my Zelkova til water flows from the bottom but it also has about 30% grit in the mix too.

I have built myself a slatted bench for all my bonsai and have some shading overhead for more shade loving plants such as Yew and Rhodedendron. A slatted construction keeps air flowing all round the plant. If you keep it outside keep it off the ground to avoid nasty insects and pets.

Don't let the pot stand in water (you have a dish under the pot) and pooling under the drainage hole will just keep the soil very wet.

Look here to see if my guess is right. It has a close-up of the leaf and also gives growing recommendations:

https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Zelkova.html

Let me know if it picks up (keep an eye on the drainage as you water it). Does the water flow from the bottom or is it a drip drip drip affair?

Good luck and best wishes,

Marie x[/quote]

Marie1uk

Hi Barbara,

Full sun would be good in the morning but 100+ degrees for several hours wouldn't be a good idea in my opinion. The ideal solution would be to move the table so the Bonsai receives morning sun and afternoon shade if that's possible.

Don't get locked into this 3x watering routine -

The golden rule is that if after 1 drenching the compost is well moistened leave it. If it is very dry then by all means water it again. Water by observation not by rule.

bb102000
Newly Registered

Marie,

I want to thank you so much for your insight because now, a week after my original post, my Bonsai seems to be on the mend. I moved it outdoors (the same day I originally posted). Location is under my covered patio that receives late morning sun and shade all other times. I am misting its leaves/trunk with water and only watering the soil well when it's dry to the touch as you recommended.

There has been NO MORE yellow leaves AND there is a TON of new growth coming in. It seems as if all that was lost is trying to come back! I am thrilled. I will try and get some better photos so you can see the benefits you helped cause!

Thanks for sharing and helping save it!

Barbara

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”