Thumb
Newly Registered

First Bonsai - Juniper - Tips needed

Hello all. I am new to this site and I have a few questions about my first bonsai. I purchased a kit from an online retailer and when it arrived I was immediately stumped by the way the Juniper had begun to grow. It is very flat and cascading (which was not exactly what I wanted) with a trunk only an inch and a half long. The branches are quite long compared to the trunk and I need some advice on how to trim it and train it. The shape of the overall tree is also confusing. It looks almost like a whirlpool with all the branches somewhat spiraling around the trunk. I am getting ready to pot it so any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

JB

[img]https://i40.tinypic.com/zswnte.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i41.tinypic.com/xlm62s.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i40.tinypic.com/b967nb.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i41.tinypic.com/j9tqgw.jpg[/img][/img]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

JB,

You have to realize that this is a very young plant. Often it is suggested that such young material needs to spend years growing out and from an artistic perspective this is very true. From a more practical perspective though, you have purchased this plant with the expectation of potting it and beginning your journey into bonsai not to spend a decade growing it out. So lets take a middle of the road approach. Pot it up now and for the immediate future try to simply get the hang of day to day care, that's the first hurdle to get over.

Some practical advice; first I hope you're aware that Junipers are very much an outdoor tree and will not fare well inside. What type of medium was provided with your kit? Would you describe it as loose and gritty or dense and peaty? Junipers don't like to be kept constantly wet, so an open mix is preferable.

If you decide to stay with bonsai you can take a trip to a local nursery and look over their one & two gallon Junipers. I daresay you will discover a better value and will learn more in the process.

Norm

Thumb
Newly Registered

The mix that was provided with it is loose. It has lots of organic material ranging from bits of bark to tiny bits of sandy aggregate. The kit also came with a humidity tray and stones, butterfly shears, a bonsai chopstick, pellet fertilizer, and training wire. I can tell that this tree is young and moreso prebonsai than anything. When I repot, should I untangle the roots and trim them back to the feeder roots or leave them long? Also, what is a good route to take with a tree that grew straight up for only an inch or so, then branched out at 90 degree angles in multiple directions? I really wanted a vertically growing tree to work with but I am dead set on making this one beautiful.

Should I just plant and forget? I have already trimmed the undersides of the long limbs. Maybe I shouldnt have.

Thank You very much.

JB

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

JB,

I'll try to work my way through your post and point out what seems relevant to me.
The mix that was provided with it is loose. It has lots of organic material ranging from bits of bark to tiny bits of sandy aggregate.
Not to nit-pick but sand would be an example of an inorganic ingredient. I would prefer at least 70% inorganic for a Juniper.
The kit also came with a humidity tray and stones, butterfly shears, a bonsai chopstick, pellet fertilizer, and training wire.
The Humidity tray will not be necessary in my opinion. As I noted Junipers really should be kept outside and I am doubtful that it will be effective, or even necessary, outside. The wire may not be needed in the short term except perhaps to secure the tree in the pot as opposed to wiring branches. The shears and the chopstick are handy and you can mix a small quantity of the slow release fertilizer in with the mix.
When I repot, should I untangle the roots and trim them back to the feeder roots or leave them long?
For your first re-potting I think I would err on the side of caution. Yes you can untangle the roots but I would limit pruning to any mushy or obviously rotten roots. You should be able to fit it in the pot provided. This is an abbreviated example, but again, keeping it alive is your first order of business.
Also, what is a good route to take with a tree that grew straight up for only an inch or so, then branched out at 90 degree angles in multiple directions? I really wanted a vertically growing tree to work with but I am dead set on making this one beautiful.
If you want a formal upright, informal upright or broom style tree, you should probably look to a different piece of stock rather than fight what this tree is trying to do. Work with the tree, not against it.
Should I just plant and forget? I have already trimmed the undersides of the long limbs. Maybe I shouldnt have.
That goes to the heart of what I was trying to explain earlier. If your preference is for a larger tree it should not go into the bonsai pot now, nor should it be pruned much, if at all. If, on the other hand, you want an 'instant bonsai' then use the pot it came with and prune it to your liking. Just be aware that these two concepts are pretty much mutually exclusive. Often trees are grown out for years or even decades before the training process begins.

You need to quantify what you want from bonsai in general and this tree in particular. Remember, bonsai is as much about the journey as the destination.

Norm

Thumb
Newly Registered

Thank you for your advice Norm. The mix appears to be mostly peat and crushed rock of some sort. The "sandy" material I referred to appears to be just peat that broke down in the bag. I would like to have an instant bonsai because they are so beautiful, but I want to enjoy the ride, so to speak, so I will heed your advice and allow the tree to mature for some time before I do anything too drastic.

Also, I definitely like your statement of working with the tree not against it. This makes a lot of sense, now. I presumed that all the wiring and root-trimming etc. was all to force the tree to be what we want but I can now see that is not entirely the case. I am going to enjoy watching this little tree grow as if it were my own child and much like I do with all of my plants. Thank you very much for the kind advice and your time.

JB

Thumb
Newly Registered

Also, this kit came from up your way. Have you ever heard of Sleepy Hollow Bonsai, in East Berlin, PA?

JB

Marsman
Green Thumb

Welcome Thumb! Junipers can be a lot of fun. Listen to Norm and take it slow. It was (is) one of the hardest lessons to learn. There are no 'instant bonsai'. It's a journey, not a destination.

Here's a picture of one of my junipers, and consider that it still needs a few years to grow out. It needs a larger trunk to feel balanced.

[img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/Juniper%20Procumbens/ea74a31b.jpg[/img]

Like Norm said, have fun with this one and go check some local nurseries or even Home Depot to see what's available. I picked mine up at a local nursery at the end of the growing season and got it for 50% off. Click on my Mars Hall link below to see what it looked like before I pruned it.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”