neoserenity333
Newly Registered

Please help with Fukien Tea Tree diagnosis (picture)

Could anyone help me figure out if my Fukien bonsai tree is in dire need of some intervention?
[img]https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/4494809832_facdcfe8b9.jpg[/img]
The leaves are turning yellow/brown and falling off, and the trunk just looks kind of unhealthy. I think I can also see some roots poking out from the pot.

I got this tree shipped as a gift two months ago and it had nice perky green leaves. I put it outside (Seattle) in a sunny spot, and it has been raining quite a bit. The temperatures have been kind of low though, highs in the 50s / lows in the 40s and even upper 30s. I know the Fukien is native to a warm and humid climate, so I'm wondering if it's a combination of the cold weather as well as being root-bound. However, it's already April and I'm wondering three things:

1) What can I do to "rescue" it?
2) Is it too late for repotting since it has already grown leaves?
3) Should I move it indoors until it gets warmer outside?

Thanks very much for any help!!! Much appreciated :D[/img]
Last edited by neoserenity333 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marsman
Green Thumb

Welcome to the forums. Beautiful little tree. I don't have any experience with Fukien Tea's, but there are number on the site who do. I'm sure you will get some good advice.

djlen
Green Thumb

neoserenity333 wrote:Could anyone help me figure out if my Fukien bonsai tree is in dire need of some intervention?
[img]https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4040/4494809832_facdcfe8b9.jpg[/img]
The leaves are turning yellow/brown and falling off, and the trunk just looks kind of unhealthy. I think I can also see some roots poking out from the pot.

I got this tree shipped as a gift two months ago and it had nice perky green leaves. I put it outside (Seattle) in a sunny spot, and it has been raining quite a bit. The temperatures have been kind of low though, highs in the 50s / lows in the 40s and even upper 30s. I know the Fukien is native to a warm and humid climate, so I'm wondering if it's a combination of the cold weather as well as being root-bound. However, it's already April and I'm wondering three things:

1) What can I do to "rescue" it?
2) Is it too late for repotting since it has already grown leaves?
3) Should I move it indoors until it gets warmer outside?

Thanks very much for any help!!! Much appreciated :D[/img]
What you are dealing with is a very, very finicky tree and my advice is to bring it in doors or to a place where it's environment can be controlled. It does not like drafts or any changes in it's surroundings. It will complain (as I call it by acting as your is) at the drop of a degree or breeze.
In short they are a pain in the you-know what. I'm ready to give up on mine because if it's not something I've just written about it's bugs, mainly Aphids, which they attract like magnets.
It can be re-potted at any time but not when sick and I'd say yours is a bit under the weather currently.
Definitely, move it inside until the weather stabilizes out doors. I'd keep it inside all year if I were you. Just my opinion.
Sorry to sound so gloomy about it but my experience with this tree is one of constant problems.
I hope your experience is better. :)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”