tomfisher

Japanese Elm Leaves Turning Yellow - Why?

well I'm pretty sure it is, any way and the leaves are starting to go yellow and are curling I'm keeping it indoors at the moment and a wondering weather that could be the problem. I am also watering it regularly and keeping the soil moist but I have no clue what the problem is javascript:emoticon(':(') please help
thanks

TomM
Greener Thumb

Hi Tom - Welcome !!

A little background info would help. How long have you had this tree? Were the leaves nice and green prior to the time you brought it indoors? Where are you located - so that we know what your climate/weather/zone is like outdoors? Plus the particulars, lighting condition, planting medium (soil), etc.

Not knowing any of that - I would only say that the move indoors may be stressing the tree. And this - elms do not like to be constantly moist (wet).

They "don't like wet feet." What they need is a good watering and a drying cycle in order to take in air - gasses need to pass through the soil. During this short dry time the little fine feeder roots grow out and seek more moisture. If they remain wet all the time they get no air. Then they rot. Root rot, caused by overwatering, can cause yellowing of leaves, and can kill a potted tree, especially an elm.

That's the reason bonsai need fast draining soil. UNLIKE house plant potting soil bonsai soil is designed to provide the air intake needed for healthy root growth.

Learning proper watering (and drying) cycles for bonsai is crucial. Dormancy - "down-time" is another issue. We can discuss that when we know a bit more about your tree.

Hope that helps. Stay in touch. In the meantime look very closely at the leaves and the soil. Look for signs of mold or small black spots, like soot. Black spot disease is a common malady of Chinese elm.

tomfisher

well I live in the northwest of England and I got it very recently from asda for ...£8. I have done alot of background research before I bought my first tree by buying a guide to bonsai and it said the you should keep the soil quite moist and as for the soil I don't really have a clue but I hope that helps

WatchMeShove

You are probably overwatering it, and bringing it inside is only going to make it worse. When I have plants that need help I tend to put them in half shade/sun areas and water them only when the top of the soil gets very dry. Even though you might read that plants need certain watering habits, sun exposure, etc. These are generalized statements for a full species and one particular plant may have a slightly different micro-climate tendency. Find the place in your yard that the plant likes best and water it accordingly. Full shade plants only need to be watered about twice a week, full sun plants watered up to three times a day (depending on where you live), and plants that are dormant need to be watered almost never. You need to consider that so many factors play into plant care that is always almost impossible to get a straight forward answer.

tomfisher

thanks for the help :) I have moved it to a window ledge and am keeping the windows open for now because its been raining all week and don't want it to drown but the second the weather clears up ill be putting it outside

tomfisher

It has been fixed all the leaves are green now and it looks realy healthy thanks for the tips

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”