heavenbound planter
Newly Registered

got new Zelkova elm tree seeds with pot as a gift ^-^

my friend went to Epcot this weekend and bought me a bonsai starting kit with some zelkova elm tree seeds in it!

I'm so excited to get more trees to plant ^-^ it even came with some instructions. but what kind of care do these trees require? any tips?

oh and to those who were wondering how my fukien tea tree is doing it's doing just fine. thanks for all the help guys. I'm so happy found you all ^-^

WatchMeShove

trees

I'm pretty sure that zelkova seeds need to be cold stratified. Also, when you said zelkova elm, are you talking about the zelkova serrata? there are a couple types of zelkovas.

heavenbound planter
Newly Registered

cold stratified? what does that mean? it does say on the kit that i have to stick them in the freezer for a little while before I plant them is that what you mean?

oh and It doesn't say on the package what specific type of zelkova it is so I guess I'm going to have to have help finding out what kind seeds they are? guess I'm going to have to take pictures of the seeds huh?

also on another note I also have cherry blossom tree seeds but I don't know what's the right time to plant them here in south florida. Do you guys know of any sites where I can find out? and do you know of any tips i can for planting them for bonsai? thanks for all the help guys!

WatchMeShove

seeds

You probably have zelkova serrata (japanese grey-barked elm), it would make sense coming in a bonsai kit. Chinese elm (zelkova sinica), and caucasian zelkova (zelkova carpinofolia), would most likely not come in a "bonsai kit," however I could be wrong. Cold stratify means that the seeds need to experience a period of cold before they will come out of dormancy. This period is usually 2-3 months, however I've succesfully cold stratified seeds for a month before. Don't try that though, a period of 90 days should be perfect. There are multiple ways to do it. You can put the seeds in a damp paper towel and stick them in a plastic bag and keep them in the fridge for 90 days. I noticed that you said the freezer, DO NOT put the seeds in the freezer, they will most likely die. While the paper towel works and is the easiest, this is the most effective way that I use. Take the seeds, soak them in warm (not boiling) water and leave them in the water for 24hrs. Take a ziploc, fill it with half peat, healf perlite, and make sure it is moist but not soaking wet, no puddles in the bag. Mix the seeds in with the perlite/peat mix and put them in the fridge, for 90 days. You can use a fungicide from the local nursery too which can keep mold from forming in the bag, which I highly recommend. If mold grows, the seeds either need to be thrown away or sown immediately. Put them in the firdge. Check on the seeds every other week, you do need to do an elaborate check just make sure mold isn't forming and that the peat is still moist. After two months the seeds might start sprouting in the bag, plant them outside. Don't expect this, because it is possible that none of them will sprout until placed into hotter temperatures. After 90 days, the seeds that haven't sprouted should be placed outside to grow. The rest should be pretty self explanatory, keep the soil moist, keep the pot in the sun, etc. I hope this helps, good luck!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”