eternalaccord
Newly Registered

Juniper bonsai troubles

:(
I was given a Juniper bonsai last June and it has been so beautiful and healthy. I have watered it everyday for the last 10 months. she was inside for the winter. Two days ago I noticed brown needles and now they cover the entire tree. I am afraid she is dying and I do not know what to do.
Please help.
Thank you

Bonsai Nutcase

Once you see brown needles usually that means the tree is already dead. I could be wrong and maybe someone may have some advice on saving it but I have never been able to bring one back. For your next tree I wouldn't water it every day, I think that is probably what killed this one. If you take a bamboo skewer and stick it in the dirt, when you think you need to water just check it. Pull it out of the dirt and see if it's moist. If it is you don't need to water, if it's pretty dry then you water.

moulman
Cool Member

Well, taking it inside was probably your biggest mistake. It in all likelyhood did not get enough light.

Place it outside ( I doubt that your weather is anywhere near cold enough to hurt it ) and see if it comes back. But, as stated above, usually by the time they turn brown - they are long dead.

Marsman
Green Thumb

Eternal,

Two things raise alarms in your post:

1) Watering every day will rot the roots out. Roots need air too.

2) Keeping a Juniper inside will kill it as well. Mine were outside in the snow all winter. They need the down time. (Dormancy)

I'm sorry, but I think your tree may have passed away. They can be dead for a while before they start to show it.

Don't let this discourage you from bonsai. Take it as a learning experience and try again. We all kill trees at one time or another.

eternalaccord
Newly Registered

Dear Everyone who responded to me,
Thank you for your tips, your understanding and your encouragement. I will try again.

Bonsai Nutcase

Yes, please try again. I would recommend a ficus, they're one of my favorites and much easier than a Juniper. I still have not had any luck with Junipers. -wall-

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”