drcg79
Newly Registered

Help with Azalea Bonsai needed

My sweet husband sent me a beautiful azalea bonzai (white leaves...other than that didn't come with any info as to the type of bonzai) for Valentine's Day. A month and a half later I fear the worst for it. I followed the instructions which said to soak the plant in a pan to water only when the soil felt dry as over-watering would kill it. The instructions also indicated it should have filtered sunlight. I had it at work on my desk near a window, but not directly in. The leaves progressively fell off, and all of the blooms shriveled to brown. I have continued to pull off the dead leaves/blooms, have brought it home and placed again near a window but not in, and it is not getting any better. After reading online I have found very conflicting instructions, from keeping it moist is a must, to letting it be moist all of the time will kill it. I would like to get it outside, but right now in Ohio we are fluxuating between 30 degree temps and 60-70 degree temps within a week, so not sure that would be a good idea either. I still see a few sparse green shoots of leaves, so am hoping to save this plant. Please help!

Tachigi
Cool Member

Your Azalea is in desperate need for the great outdoors. This is not an indoor plant...not that there actually is one.

I would suggest that you place your tree outside during the day and bring it in at night if the nighttime temps are below 40 degrees. I would do this straight away before a new set of leaves emerge.

Once it has set new leaves and they harden off with out exposure to UV light they will sunburn from that UV light and die off...this will surely kill your plant off having to expend energy thrice in a short time to regenerate itself.

Good Luck!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”