jzero29

I'm new to bonsai, have questions.

My girlfried had gotten a Mini bonsai kit from someone at work. She wasn't that interested in it so I decided to give this little kit a chance(it was that or the garbage) So I was just starting to research this hobby and I find my self hooked. Like any beginer I have a ton of questions. First, I understand that this is not an indoor hobby, which living in an apartment building in part of NYC doesn't really allow me to keep nice things outside. I have read jack pines(seeds from kit) are need to be outside to grow and be healthy. But I am worried about leaving my hard work exposed for any one to come and take/destroy. Are there any bonsai that can be grown and remain healthy indoors? Second, the kit had Jack pine seeds...so looking around I am unable to find bonsai jack pines to see what a full grown jack pine bonsai should look like? I believe they may also be called Black Pines, am I right? With the Jack pine seeds, I do plan to keep it outside and risk it's loss. Third after the Jack pine seeds sprout and start to grow/develope, how long/or how big should I wait to move it from window to outside?WHat about plant lights, would that help? Fourth I just planted it today, after a week of cold stratifying the seeds, .It's the end of springand I plan not to trim or train tree until spring next year about 9-10 months from now. Is that a good plan/amount of time? to short to long? can I train before and not trim r trim and not trian? Do both? Do neither?Suggestion? fifth I have SOme general gardening questions,(also a beginner) I've read one should fertilize his plant and that average plant fertilizer will do at half strength, but when I was in a nursery they only had plant food, I assume this is the same thing as fertilizer but am unsure and feel kinda dumb because it seems like a dumb question.

jzero29

1) Is it to late in season to plant new seeds? There is about 2-3 weeks before summer starts. 2 There are a lot of hedges,bushes and trees in my neighborhood that look similar to many of the bonsai tree types, can you recommend a web site about how to identify these different species and if I'm able to(with owners permission) taking a cuuting. (I've read about wrapping the branch with soil to grow roots and taking a cut below this.

Marie1uk

Hiya and welcome to a great hobby!

Jack Pine or Pinus banksiana can be found in [url=https://www.bonsai-wbff.org/nabf/newsletter6/nativetrees.htm]this gallery[/url] (it isn't to be confused with Black Pine or Pinus Thunbergii):

I would not recommend Pines as the best material for beginners mainly because of their (relatively) complex pruning needs. It will be MANY years before it gets to anything even resembling a bonsai so can I give you some advice as to the route I took when developing my first bonsai?

#1 Buy a few decent [url=https://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?link_code=ur2&tag=thehelpfulgar-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&location=/gp/search%3F%26index=books%26keywords=bonsai%26_encoding=UTF8]bonsai books[/url] - and read up on basic techniques.

#2 Get a few basic tools: Shears & branch cutter.

#3 Join a local bonsai club - learning from experienced folk is the best teacher or alternatively see if any bonsai nurseries run beginner courses for you to attend.

#4 Go to a local nursery and buy a cheap containerised plant that you can turn into a Bonsai (these are often termed Potensai). Most junipers make good bonsai. See if they have a Blaauw's Juniper (Juniperus chinensis ‘Blaauw’) or look here for suitable species native to your area:

https://www.bonsaigardener.org/bonsai_11.html

#5 Take your Potensai to the bonsai club (together with your tools and a bit of bonsai wire if needed). Style it with their help but don't invest in expensive pots if you can't be sure of security. If it does get stolen then it will have only cost you a few dollars to buy as a young plant.

Good luck - Marie

Marie1uk

PS Fertilizer is usually composed of 3 MAIN elements in ratio format at the side of the packet (N:P:K). N stands for Nitrogen - high nitrogen fertilzers promote vigourous leaf and stem growth.

P stands for Phosphorus - Phosphorus is said to promote root growth, root branching, stem growth, flowering, fruiting, seed formation, and maturation.

K stands for Potassium. This enables the plant to more readily withstand "stress" such as drought, cold, heat and disease. It also stimulates flower color and promotes tuber formation and a strong root system.

My personal preference when purchasing fertilisers is the Chempak series which are widely available at garden centres and DIY stores throughout the UK and America.

jzero29

Thanks!

webmaster
Site Admin

If you are new to bonsai, be sure to read through the Helpful Gardener's [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/bonsai/]Bonsai[/url] section. There's lot's of good information there that will give you an overview of bonsai, including watering, pruning, wiring, and discussions of various species.

Good luck.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jzero,

A pine from seed project will probably take a good decade before you have anything to show for your efforts. It is not nearly as easy as it sounds, not to mention the fact that pines belong outside. So do Junipers.

If I understand your situation you need to be looking at tropical species that can be grown indoors, although it is not ideal to keep even tropicals indoors year round. Ficus is the species most often recomnded.

I agree with Marie that you should do some research before jumping in and you end up disappointed.

Norm

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jzero,

Here is a picture of a very nice Willow Leaf Ficus (Ficus nerriifolia). I am not saying that such a tree will be easy to train but it is an example of a species that is more appropriate for indoor culture.

[img]https://www.ncarboretum.org/Horticulture/Bonsai/October_2004_pics/lores_4684.jpg[/img]

Norm

jzero29

I have read a couple books already(bonsai basics by pessey and samson, RD Bonsai and 101 tips for bonsai by harry tomlinson), visited a couple web pages(the one Marie suggested is originally how I found this forum) and I do plan to put them outside, atree I recieved in the mail about two weeks ago as a gift, a little sooner than I believe I was ready to own a 5yr old bonsai tree. It was recomended to me to keep in doors temparary to let it adjust to new climate/atmosphere after shipping. It has been raining hard and heavy winds in my area the last week. There have been several severe thunderstorm/tropical storm warnings. But before that I noticed the white powdery looking substance on the trunk, no where else and went researching that, the only thing I came up with was powdery mildew. But this suggest the fungus on leave and shoots which is not the case. it is a small ring around base of tree and 1/4 inch thick about an 1-1.5 inches from base which is slightly darker wet looking bark, which lead me to believe that the problem could be over watering or fungus or both and maybe one lead to other? I had hoped to start out with cheap seelings and or grow one from scratch... willing to wait years before I see good results or anything that resembles bonsai ... the time would be spent practicing different techniques on cheaper plants learning and gaining experience on how to care for the trees themselves, growing healthy trees and general maintenece (prunning, trimming, repotting and how much each tree likes to be watered.) Mistakes wouldn't be so bad if I lost a tree I had only spent $10 on and applying the knowledge in books to actual tree's hands on experience would be invaluable. Then as the trees matured I could start practicing and learning wiring and training techniques. But my situation is my girlfriend after seeing me try and grow her kit...and that I had started reading different books on the subject bought me two plants for my birthday. SO I have been thrust into a position where I must care for plants I may not have been ready for, but none the less I still want to try and keep them alive and healthy. So anyhelpful advice would be happily accepted. I do have a small area where I can grow outside, it is behind my apartment building only 2 stories, so there is lots of sun only draw back is there are no fences or gates secureing the area from wandering people and it is a common area for most people in the building, I have found a store that sells the pots for not that much $2-5 for different sizes. Another lady has a couple flower pots and things arranged in back, but bonsai are a little more expensive than flowers, (seedlings or cuttings from nursery would be perfect) but her plants seem to be doing okay. I also have several shrubs and bushes including a japanese maple tree in the front of the building and have thought of air layering or taking a cutting to grow. Just as a cheaper way of getting materials for a beginner to learn and gain experience with. I am fully aware that bonsai is not instant gratification and that patience in growing and training trees to be bonsai is much needed. But you have to start somewhere and I think the best thing to do as a beginer is to start out learning how to keep trees alive and healthy first while gaining experience in general maintenence then as your trees grow, mature and become more suitable for bonsai to learn training techniques. I think for now I'd just be satisfied with keeping trees healthy and watch them mature keeping the tree minature. While I learn more about how to train and create bonsai.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Jzero,

Your original post lead me to believe that you were looking to keep your trees indoors. If you do indeed have access to an outdoor space then you will find that you have considerably more options.

First things first, the survival of your Juniper. Are there decorative rocks glued onto the surface of the soil? Would you describe the soil as predominantly organic or inorganic? In other words mostly peat or mostly grit? If the former is the case that is only adding to your watering issues.

Make sure that the Juniper dries out considerably before you allow it any more water. I still contend that the tree belongs outside. Lack of air circulation may be partly responsible for the growth that you are experiencing. I understand that this can present difficulties regarding watering but it is neccessary for the health of the tree. Move it under cover if an ill timed rainstorm is forecast.

Although I am not sure exactly what this growth is you probably should remove it, possibly with an old toothbrush.

The remainder of your most recent post raises many isssues that I feel should be addressed but are not important at the moment.

Norm
Last edited by Gnome on Sat Jul 15, 2006 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sharp

I have seen Fukien Tea do well indoors as well. Providing that you give it enough humidity and light near a window.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”