TomM
Greener Thumb

hard water spots/stains

No not the nasty ones around the pot - the kind that forms on the foliage. I have a nice cascading natal plum, recently repotted, new growth, and looking good. But it has always had a dull build-up of hard water stain on the older leaves. I spray-mist the plants all winter long.
Does anyone out there have ideas for the safe removal of this film and to make them look young and fresh again? Thanks.
TomM

KasWear
Cool Member

I use rainwater ............. :)

applestar
Mod

The minerals in the water can result in those water stains. For misting, I always use filtered water.

I'm not entirely sure of how to get them off the leaves.... Normally, using an acidic solution (vinegar or lemon juice) would dissolve the lime/calcium -- that's the usual procedure for cleaning pots, but too much of that can burn the plant (vinegar can be used as non-toxic herbicide).

Maybe you could experiment by wiping with a very dilute solution (use filtered or distilled water to mix with), then immediately wiping off with just filtered/distilled.

Hmm... It's also possible that wiping with just the distilled water would help.

TomM
Greener Thumb

Thanks Applestar - I've stopped spray/misting with our tap water - it is quite 'hard', full of minerals. Switching to rain water - or distilled when I can pick some up. Will try gentle rubbing. On another forum a spray of LEAF SHINE was suggested. Might try that later - but first the more natural materials. 8)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”