LHolms
Newly Registered

Juniper Turning Yellow!

I need some serious advice for my juniper. We got it about 3 months ago its 7 years old and suddenly its turning yellow......except for one spot. It's not brittle and I don't think it's dead because that one spot is really green. What can be done to get the color back in the rest of it? :shock:

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Are you keeping your tree inside? How often do you water it? And what do you use to fertilize your tree.

Give the sticky at the top of the page a read as well.

LHolms
Newly Registered

Thanks for the fast response. I water the tree whenever the soil feels dry but I mist it twice a day. The tree is outside. We were keeping it in direct sunlight but thats when it started turning yellow so it's still outside but it gets partial sun and partial shade. I've used Miracle-Gro to fertilize and have looked for an organic fertilizer but I live in a small town and can't seem to find one. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Marie1uk

Two pests that may cause what you are describing:

Junipers are a favorite victim of red spider mites. If the tree appears weak, with yellowing foliage, it may have spider mites. To check for spider mites, hold a sheet of white paper under a branch and gently shake the foliage. If the paper comes away with many small dots that move, it has spider mites. To combat spider mites, spray with insecticidal soap or a nicotine solution (which can be made by soaking tobacco in water overnight).

Juniper scale causes yellowed needles, and infected branches fail to produce new growth. The scale is round and at first white, later turning gray or black. Check for the tell-tale casings of scale insects on branches. Use a systemic insecticide.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”