victorsays
Newly Registered

new to the forum: Fukien Tea may be dying

Hello, I'm new to the forum. A forum I wish I had found earlier.

I recieved a Fukien Tea bonsai last October and it has been causing me some grief for some time. I think I may have neglected it recently for after two days of being away, all of its leaves are brown and what I imagine, dead. I plucked some off and then decided to see what the internet had to offer. I clipped a couple of limbs to see if it was still green inside, it does not appear as such.

Is there any hope once all of its leaves are gone?
How can I encourage new growth?

I am new to this, but have had this tree for a while. Shame on me.

I do hope you can help :) Much appreciated

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

If the wood is brown then I would surmise that the tree is dead. If the wood is still a little moist, then their is still hope. I would prune back any dead wood. Keep the tree watered properly and fertilized and hope that some leave grow back.

One way to encourage new growth is to prune back the green (or moist) wood.

Good luck.

Marie1uk

Gently scratch a small part of the bark away and see if there is any green underneath. If not and all parts of the tree are brittle then I am afraid it's gone to Bonsai heaven :(.

A good tip if you go away for a few days:

Take the bonsai out of it's small container, plunge the rootball in water, add compost to a bigger pot and place it in there. Then water again throughly. This should be Ok for a couple of days - any more than this and you are better off asking a kindly neighbour to water it for you.

Best wishes,

Marie

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”