Andy D

Spring Pruning

I have two 3-and-a-half year old japanese maples and I'm wondering how much I should take off this spring before the leaves come out. Is it ok to really chop some off the top if I root prune?

WatchMeShove

You can chop anything off the top and you wouldn't need to root prune at all. If you root prune, however, it's a good idea to take some off the top. When you say,
I'm wondering how much I should take off this spring before the leaves come out.
, you need to specify what your intentions for the plant are. Are you going for a bigger trunk, branch development, etc.? Also, is the plant in a bonsai pot or is it still developing in a regular pot or in the ground? The last thing that might help could be a picture and specify where your trying to go with the plant altogether.

Marsman
Green Thumb

Andy,

Let's see them. Then we can be more helpful.

djlen
Green Thumb

Hi Andy,

Your Maples are very forgiving and easy to work with. I too would like to see what you have and hear what you'd like to accomplish with them.
We would then have a better idea of how to advise.

Tachigi
Cool Member

A 3.5 year old JM doesn't really need either, no matter what your intentions are. Its barely a whip, let it do its thing for a few more years and give you something actually to work with.

My 2 cents worth :D

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”