Dianne Fincham

Hi Jordan,
Thank you, i am fairly new to this, and as you can see, i had a bit of a worry over this tree. Having taken all the great advice i've been given, i am pleased to say, this tree is now starting to look really nice again! All the little new leaves that were forming have grown already! and, they look smaller than the original leaves. Don't know if thats how they start off? but they definately look smaller. I will give it a little longer, then i will post a new photo of it.
Best wishes
Dianne

Dianne Fincham

Hi, I just thought i would post an 'up date' on how my Chinese Elm is doing. It went through a very difficult stage, i thought i was going to lose it. It turned brown, lost most of its leaves, and looked a bit sad! Now it has picked up, and is looking wonderful! It has lush green leaves, and is very happy. It has acclimatized to being outside very well, and loves it in his new position.
A big thank you to everyone who has helped me in the past with information and know how.
Both my Chinese Elm and my Dwarf Alberta spruce are both doing very well, and i have a collection of cuttings from Juniper, cotoneaster, and a few other cuttings, most of which are doing well, and i hope to be able to produce some nice bonsai from them.
Best wishes Dianne

Gnome
Mod

Dianne,

Thanks for the update and glad that your charges are doing well. Was there another scare or are you referring to the one described earlier? Not really important, just curious. As long as it is OK now that is the important thing.

How do you intend to manage it for the winter? There have been several questions recently about overwintering. Make sure to scroll back through the recent posts.

Norm

Dianne Fincham

Hi Norm,
Thank you for your reply. This problem happened twice within a short time. However, he seems to have recovered very well. He is very happy where he is placed.
I have a very sheltered back garden, and even when there is frost at the front of our home, there is none to been seen in the back garden. I have a little area that i keep for the Bonsai. I built up a small garden not much more than 1 metre sq. Right in front of another long raised bed. All my baby plans are in there, and the 2 main ones (this one and the little conifer) stand on the ground beside it. They are sheltered there from the wind as behind the other raised bed is a tall wooden fence, to the right is the wall to our home, and to the left about 6' away is a small shed. Around all this, our garden has an extremely tall hedge, approx 12' high. So it is always a few deg. warmer in the back garden compared to the front.
As for winter, well, i am keeping a very close eye on them. I thought we were going to have a frost the other night, so i covered them in a huge sheet of bubble wrap! But it was fine. I also have a small 'plastic type' green house/cold frame. its only 4' high by about 2' sq. With 3 shelves in it. I am considering lining it with bubble wrap or something, including the shelves just in case, so that i can put them in there if and when i need to.
Otherwise, if it gets really cold/snow i will bring them into the back vestibule, as it stays reasonably cool in there, but they would still get plenty of light.
Hope i am doing all this right? I would hate to lose any of them now! Many thanks for all your help, best wishes Dianne

Gnome
Mod

Dianne,

It sounds like you are doing fine. My Chinese Elms are still outside even though we have had several nights below freezing so far. Being on the ground is good as long as they are safe from other concerns, pets, rodents, falling branches, etc. The roots are the primary concern and being on the ground helps in that regard as there is considearble warmth stored in the earth. Some mulch around the pots won't hurt.

I don't let mine get too far below freezing though and once winter really sets in they go into an unheated garage. If your garden generally stays above freezing you shlould not have much trouble. You might utilize your little greenhouse or vestibule later in the season, your call.

Norm

Dianne Fincham

Hi, Just thought i'd let you know that my Chinese Elm is doing very well! I am really pleased with the way it has coped with the cold weather. The leaves are lovely and green, and it seems very happy!

It was my birthday yesterday (20th Feb), and my parents bought me another Bonsai. Again, they have bought it from the same place. (As a reminder, my Chinese Elm came with a 'Zelkovia' label). This one has come with a 'Ficus Ginseng' label. I don't mean to be dis-trusting, but, i thought perhaps it wise to find out a bit more about it, (assuming it to be what it says it is)?

So i shall have a good look on here for any others that have already been put up, and i shall go through my books. Failing that, i will up load some photos as a new topic in hope of some advice. Mainly i need to check if it is an indoor or outdoor Bonsai?
Best wishes
Dianne

Gnome
Mod

Dianne,

Isn't it good to get through your first winter? I had a rough time when I started out but now it is much easier.

The Ficus is going to an indoor plant for part of the year for you but will do much better outside during summer. Some varieties of Ficus apparently don't like to placed into a new environment and can drop their leaves. I say apparently as I only grow one variety of Ficus and mine have been very much trouble free.

Ginseng Ficus are a variety of F. microcarpa (AKA F. retusa) they are readily identified by the bulbous roots. There are many threads here, some with pictures so you should have no trouble making an ID

For more information on Ficus check out Bonsai Hunk. Jerry is well known among Ficus growers and has even written several books.

https://www.bonsaihunk.us/cultural.html

Dianne Fincham

Hi, Thank you for that, i will check out the link you gave me. I just had a quick look and it looks as thought there is a lot of info to be found there! So its something i need to take my time and read carefully.
Many thanks for your help once again.
I will also post some photos of my 'babies' soon, as they are coming along very nicely, some from cuttings and some from seed. All about 10cm high, and all survived the snow!
Best wishes
Dianne

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”