GardenerX

Buddist Pine????

Hey everyone,

I've been looking up some pine tree's for bonsai and I've found one I realy like but if someone has one can they give me some tips on it before I commit to buying it....

the name of the tree is Buddist Pine Tree,
also I'm going to post some pics of my current tree's in the Bonsai Photo Gallery, so make sure to look for those............

Marsman
Green Thumb

The needles [url=https://www.bonsaiboy.com/catalog/product291.html]look a bit long[/url] for my tastes.

djlen
Green Thumb

Actually it's a very easy plant to keep and very easy to propagate, IME.
It's funny but in every picture I see on line the needles of the Podocarpus look larger and much more out of proportion than they do on my plant. Don't know why that is. I have heard that they get longer as the tree ages but I still think it's is a nice fit. Japanese White Pines have long needles as well but they seem to balance out as the tree matures.
I've got about 20 cuttings that I've taken from the mother plant and will be making it into a forest eventually.
It likes frequent watering, and an all purpose food at 1/4 strength with each watering. Once a month I dose it with Miracid for acid loving plants and since I started doing that it's really taken off. I've learned a lot about them since I've gotten this one and I would recommend them to even a beginner.
I do think that the price for the tree on the Bonsai Boy site is really high, but that's just me. I also think that in eight years my tree will be much larger and fuller than the example in the picture. Mine is only about 1 year old and the trunk is very close in diameter to that one.

FLBonsai
Cool Member

Podocarpus make good bonsai and they are easy to care for. The needles will shrink with training but you can always get the dwarf pringles version of the podocarpus.

GardenerX

thx guys, I'll be ordering it soon

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”