Kree

Soils/Fertilizing for Junipers

When I got my Juniper (it was a gift) there was a small information tag attached, it said to repot every 2-3 years, and to fertilize during autumn and spring. Autumn is less than a month away (I live in Australia) and the tag suggests that I use a slow release fertilizer. However it said nothing about soils and such for repotting. This is where I need help, what kind of soils should I be using for my 6 year old juniper, when should I repot it. Oh and also, for the fertilizer does anybody have any suggests? I'd prefer to use organic fertilizer as opposed to chemical.

Thanks, Kree!
Kree;; You can never know too much about one thing.

Gnome
Mod

Kree,

It is usually suggested that Junipers be re-potted in mid spring, not as early as deciduous material. I have re-potted mine according to this advice and have not had a problem. Use a free draining bonsai mix. Look [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422]here[/url] to learn more about bonsai soils. If you don't want to fool around with mixing your own you can buy ready-made materials on-line. For Juniper I use a very lean mix (with little organic material) but you may want to include more in your mix since your climate is warmer. You have time to look into that though.

You can fertilize with most products that you would use for houseplants. I don't know what might be available in your area of if you would need to purchase that mail order as well. More important than what you use is that you do fertilize regularly. I do so about every 10-14 days throughout the growing season.

[url=https://www.espoma.com/p_consumer/tones_tree.html]Here[/url] is an example of a product that I have been using. I use this in two ways, straight out of the bag, mixed into the top of my soil. This has a tendency to slow drainage, so as an alternative I create a sort of 'tea' from this and usually some compost. They also offer a [url=https://www.espoma.com/p_consumer/gro_tone.html]fish extract fertilizer.[/url] You should be able to find something along these lines, if not the same brands.

Norm

Kree

Thanks Norm, that was extremely helpful!

I was however hoping for something a little more specific, perhaps a suggestion from somebody for what i could use... for my specific conditions.

If somebody could possibly suggest a basic guide for what I could use for my Juniper off my conditions, it would be much appreciated... I live in a very hot area, the hottest temperature being around 38 degrees celsius (100 Fahrenheit) (summer) and lowest temperature being 15 degrees celsius (57 Fahrenheit) (winter). I am able to water my plants at least twice daily (even though I know that this is not required for a juniper) It is kept outside and gets direct sunlight between 6am-12pm. I'm not even sure if that's relevant, but i've read somewhere that that can contribute to what kind of mixture i'd need. Oh, and it's 6 years old. :)!

if anybody could possibly suggest a mixture for my little bonsai, it'd be so very helpful.
:oops:

Tachigi
Cool Member

Kree wrote: if anybody could possibly suggest a mixture for my little bonsai, it'd be so very helpful.
Hi Kree

For an Aussie I would suggest the following,

Ray Nesci mix = $11 for 15 litres
(if you don't want to mix your own, though I do recommend you add a little chopped sphagnum to it)

If you mix your own

Diatomite and Zeolite = $35 for 60 litres
(I would suggest Maidenwell Diatomite brand as it is much firmer and will last longer without breaking down. https://maidenwelldiatomite.com )

Akadama = $16 for 12 litres
( not necessary, but your Juni will respond and develope quicker IMO .. its an ingredient that will fine tune it)

Aggregate ( choose any stone that is a 1/4 to 3/8 grain size with sharp edges...if you can get lava that would be ideal)

Sphagnum Moss
(New Zealand white / Angel Moss if you can get it. Chop this up and added it to your mix, your Juni will LOVE IT!)

Finally...RATIOS
No one here can tell you what the best proportion or ratios to use for your soil mix. We don't know what your climate is and for that matter what your micro climate is. Its best to seek out someone else in your area that grows bonsai and see what proportions they use...Check for local clubs, or Associations in your area.

I know this was not as specific as you wanted...but its the best advise since we don't grow there... You have the components, just a tad more research and you'll have your answer.

Good Luck
Cheers, Tom

North Star Bonsai

Kree

Thank you so much Tachigi! That was so wonderful. It was extremely helpful, I just need to read up on what each component does... Then I expect that I should be able to make my own ratios- I will of course ask either of my parents if they could perhaps take me to a bonsai nursery, or something related to get more information and recommendations.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”