JerseyBonsai

Tsugiki

hello again everyone,

I was wondering how long does it typically take for a grafted branch to heal into place on a deciduous tree. Specifically I'm referring to side grafting, if that helps 8). I know late winter early spring is a good time to do this for my elm. But I'm clueless on how to care for the branch and tree once this procedure is done. I think this technique is incredible btw, imagine...cutting a limb off, making a new opening and wrap it into place and BAM! A whole new tree...kinda. It must be pretty traumatizing for the tree, so if anyone can give me some tips, i would really appreciate it :D

-Drew
You ask me why I dwell in the green mountain; I smile and make no reply for my heart is free of care. As the peach blossom which flows downstream and is gone into the unknown, I have a world apart that is not among men." -- Li Po

Marsman
Green Thumb

From [url=https://www.bonsaiempire.com/html/propagation-grafting.html]Bonsai Empire: Growing Bonsai by grafting[/url]
Side grafting
1. First step is to find a suitable graft to add to the tree; you might take a graft from another tree or you can use material from the tree itself (basically relocating a branch or root). The graft should not be too large, about 5 cm (2’,) should be fine (see photo 1).
2. Using a sharp flat knife make a shallow incision in the bark of the stump of about 1 cm (0.4’,) long, be careful not to cut into the hardwood of the tree (see photo 2).
3. Now take the graft and cut the last 1 cm (0.4’,) at an angle, to make it fit properly into the incision of the stump. Next place the graft with the barkless portion facing the interior of the tree into the stump, making sure the cambial layers of both the graft and the stump contact (see photo 3).
4. Use wire or an elastic material to wrap the stump and the graft tightly together.

It will take about two months before the graft will show signs of growth, however, do not remove the wire that holds the stump and the graft together for at least a year to make sure they bond properly.

Tachigi
Cool Member

Drew, It can take up to a couple of years for it to be firmly in place and growing strongly before being severed from its host. Cambium will graft quickly but takes time for it have the ability to support it own weight and provide a plumbed path to the scion from the new parent tree. Took me 3 years on a healthy Hornbeam for the graft to be self sufficient.
Cheers, Tom

North Star Bonsai

JerseyBonsai

thanks for the speedy replies guys,

Specifically though, should i change how i care for him. Light? Fertilizer? and water?

-Drew
You ask me why I dwell in the green mountain; I smile and make no reply for my heart is free of care. As the peach blossom which flows downstream and is gone into the unknown, I have a world apart that is not among men." -- Li Po

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”