bonsaidude
Cool Member

Is this mold !?!?! Chinese elm

I noticed for a while that this area was a little white color, now it has formed this :( !! should I use this ground cinnamion thing I saw on these fourms whats ur opinion. Should I just scrape it off I have no idea I'm still looking into other fourms and stuff but looking for more of a direct answer thank you.

https://img199.imageshack.us/I/mold003.jpg/

https://img641.imageshack.us/I/mold002.jpg/

https://img641.imageshack.us/I/mold001.jpg/

KasWear
Cool Member

Root sap at a guess ,, .... :cry: :o

bonsaidude
Cool Member

lol what ?

Tachigi
Cool Member

If it is indeed mold scrape it with a blade, it should be powdery. If it is indeed a fungus then you could use a fungicide and dampen the area infected. Which should rectify your issue.

If it isn't mold, my guess is that it might be a gall or possibly even an insect egg coatings. Which you could dampen again with insecticide.

You don't want to dig around in the area. This could possibly damage existing cambium... digging is always a last resort.

A side note...when I look at the pictures I see a crack close to the white mass which might suggest a gall. Is the white mass originating from that crack?

bonsaidude
Cool Member

yes there is a small crack and yes it is concentrating around that area what is this gall u speak of ? and can I fix this ?

Tachigi
Cool Member

Galls can be formed by many different things...with deciduous trees galls generally come from insects laying eggs. Elms are notorious for this.

I would address this with insecticide as I mentioned above.

Instead of being long winded about this, an inconveniencing a bunch of electrons you can find more info on galls here.

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gall[/url]

bonsaidude
Cool Member

I bought a 3 in 1 ortho ecosence insecticide / mites and treats diseases. Also to put out there as soon as I noticed it I saw a gnat like thing or mite run down to the soil, so I sparyed the area ( since seems to be only infected / infested area lol ) let it drip down and around tree area ( soil ) not to much tho, I figured that would be enough for now and waiting to see what happens, sound ok ? I asked the garden lady at home depot that I was using it for my bonsai and said it wouldnt harm him if I used it directly to the area. Just only thing I hate is that whole area when u look at overall bonsai you can see the big white area, will that will go away once I treated it for a bit ?

On side note DIE YOU LITTLE BUGGERS !!!!!! and I also have a greenhouse on the way so all of my bonsais with soon be in a better enivornment than in my rooms / house.

Tachigi
Cool Member

I would assume it is alright...but won't swear to it without knowing the name. I said dampen the area vs. spraying because I assume this is in your house and spraying liquid death inside always makes me a bit nervous. Make sure you reapply this again to snuff the regeneration cycle (check the application guide on the bottle)....you might also look into a systemic, as a topical can be a hit and miss proposition.

Also ...congrats on the greenhouse, but make sure you don't put diseased or infested trees in with your healthy ones...or you will open Pandora's box. Quarantine any ill plants till your 100% sure they won't cause damage to your other trees

bonsaidude
Cool Member

Wow good call on the Quarantine tip honestly didnt even think about it. Also the 3 in 1 spray I bought said it was a indoor/outdoor brand idk this makes a diff about makin u nervous but understand. Plus I diddnt use toooooo much but way I'm seein it is I wont be consuming it / not breathing it in when I'm around him and I took him outside when I sprayed it for safe bet.

bonsaidude
Cool Member

Hes turning out alot better insects seem to be gone and took a toothbrush and water to the trunk and took alot of that white off, I bought some tree sealant for the gall and maybe some other areas.

https://www.bonsaiboy.com/catalog/product109.html ( what I bought has insecticides and fungicides in it also )

Tachigi
Cool Member

BD,
Hate to say this but that is grafting paste...I know thats not what they advertise it as...but it is. The picture on the graphic also should confirm that. The problem with this product is that it leaves a oily stain and is a mother to get off when dry...its a petroleum based product which as I said stains. I would call them and see if you can swap out for cut paste(comes in a jar..not a tube) if it hasn't already left for you. Cut paste will do the same thing without any of the ill effects

bonsaidude
Cool Member

Ordered it today and place is closed so hasent been shipped yet, so I'm going to call them up tomorrow and see what I can do. Did I ever tell you I love you man lol you been a ton of help and couldnt thank you anymore. whats the differnce between what I bought and what I want, whats grafting paste used for ? and if its possible you have a link of the stuff your talkin about just incase this place dosent have it.

Tachigi
Cool Member

bonsaidude wrote: whats the differnce between what I bought and what I want, whats grafting paste used for ? and if its possible you have a link of the stuff your talkin about just incase this place dosent have it.
Checked Bonsiaboy for cut paste and couldn't find it

Dallas Bonsai does [url]https://www.dallasbonsai.com/store/C76-bonsai-supply-Cut-Paste-White-Cap.html[/url]

Grafting paste is used to seal grafts to new host plants( I.e. .. if you want to graft a new branch to a tree . ) Its evil stuff for anything outside its intended purpose. Is thick like tar and makes a god awful mess.

Cut paste has the consistency of clay or playdoh. Take a small bit of it and place it in the palm of your hand and roll it around to warm it...you'll end up with a ball or string like form depending on how you roll it. Apply it to the wound sparingly. You don't need a lot...meaning that ... it doesn't have to be thick...if its thickness is about that of an envelope it should do the job...the idea is your just trying to put a thin barrier in place.

One other tip: Put a little water in the jars cap when working with cut paste...wet the finger or thumb your using to work the paste...it will stop it from adhering to your fingers and pulling off the wound.

bonsaidude
Cool Member

I don't know what u make of of this but I called them up and said everything that you said and they never had any problems with the stuff or had anyone say they did also they said its imported from japan and is off the high quality stuff and I don't think they had regular stuff anyways so ill just keep it for later uses and prob order some of the stuff you linked.

Tachigi
Cool Member

bonsaidude wrote:I don't know what u make of of this but I called them up and said everything that you said and they never had any problems with the stuff or had anyone say they did also they said its imported from japan and is off the high quality stuff and I don't think they had regular stuff anyways so ill just keep it for later uses and prob order some of the stuff you linked.
They have your money...they don't carry cut paste...the image on the box is for grafting scions....do the math :wink:

Its true..it IS from Japan and it is high quality...I have some in my studio that I use for grafting pines. However its not for sealing wounds...though you can use it that way with long term undesirable results.

Not to put to fine a point on this discussion...BUT....I have a Ficus..have had it for 15 years...one of the few trops I have. I did a branch prune 10 years ago and applied this evil grafting paste....ITS STILL THERE TODAY! I can't get it off with out damaging the the branch..which is a main character branch. What I did manage to pry loose left a dark stain. Basically ruin this tree ...as removing the branch would kill the image.

So learn from my mistakes and my poor Ficus will have served a purpose :P

bonsaidude
Cool Member

Awsome thank you so much tachigi for taking time out and helpin, even tho the guy talked me up on the phone and convinced me to just stick with it (idc its only 20 bucks and hey maybe I might use it for somthing down the road). I'm ordering that stuff you linked cuase just from the decription it sounds like what I need, and you said it will help my small gall out ? that's my whole intention and tryin to buy a selant and from what I understand is it will help speed the healing prosess up ? ( Talkin bout the stuff in the jar now )
Cut paste has the consistency of clay or playdoh. Take a small bit of it and place it in the palm of your hand and roll it around to warm it...you'll end up with a ball or string like form depending on how you roll it. Apply it to the wound sparingly. You don't need a lot...meaning that ... it doesn't have to be thick...if its thickness is about that of an envelope it should do the job...the idea is your just trying to put a thin barrier in place.

From what I can see I just want to cover the gall and not place it in it ? and will this stuff eventually go away itsself or do I take it off down the road ? never worked with the stuff just wondering.

[img]https://img297.imageshack.us/img297/704/areas001.jpg[/img] ( heres the gall for you to see // also the part that lost its bark can I do it there to or do I let him heal over that himself thats if he will ? )

[img]https://img517.imageshack.us/img517/7664/areas002.jpg[/img] ( main worry in this area is the part at the bottom can I use it there ? other two I'm just curious if I can do it there also )

I'm extremely sorry for the very beginner guestions and this whole splurge in this one reply, just worried about him and want to tend to it before more happens( on other hand he is growing like a beast and seems very happy ). Hope ur not mad and willing to answer thank you. :shock: :(

Tachigi
Cool Member

BD...lets breakdown your two pictures.

1st picture: The crack/gall leave open for now...you'll need to reapply your insecticide to it...remember re-application to break life cycles. As I mentioned earlier..just dribble...damped some into the crack. The bottom circle shows what appears to be a dead root. Scratch it gently and see if any green cambium shows...if not get rid of it...it ain't doing any good.

2nd picture:..you have some prune marks that were not sealed with cut paste. You need to determine a couple of things before covering it. The first being, is the exposed wood (heartwood) hard or has it started to rot? If its still firm then your good to go to the next step, if not you'll need to remove the rot. Callous material (new tissue) will not grow over rotted wood. Next take a craft knife and on the edge of the callous cut a very fine slice about 1/16th in thickness all the way around...this will stimulate the callous to speed the healing. If you knew that the callous was actively growing you could pass this step...but my impression is this is a new tree and you aren't aware of its growth status. After all this is done you add the cut paste

The bottom wound / cosmetic flaw is rotted..that I'm sure of...so you can do one of two things with this. Dig out the rot and clean it up and cut paste it. It will eventually close over...though it may take some time. The other option is to find a cutting/whip and plant it in the pot with the trunk wedged in the void you cleaned the rot from...as both trees grow they will graft / fuse together ..this could take as little as a year of it could take a couple...depends on how healthy the tree is and you well you feed. The only trick to the grafting is to not let the parent tree push the whip out of position as it grows. Grafting tape can help with that with a few wraps.

Option...Options :wink:

bonsaidude
Cool Member

Awsome thank you and it was id say rotting, I cleared down a bit and its was green and cut the edgein like you said. its funny cuase I just watched on that bonsai channel thing and the guy showed that, Only reason I cleared into the scar down a tad is to also see if it looked healty in those areas and it deff looks good ( green ) I hope I diddnt harsh him but I'm sure hell pull threw. As far as putting the cut paste on for the best example is the bottom cosmetic scar do I take good peice of this and fill in the area or simply like paint it on ? so its a fine layer. Also I don't think I see anything in your last post about it but does this cut paste go away with time or do I remove it after sometime and see what it has done type deal ?

Heres pics of what I did on the 3 spots for now till I get the paste then tend to other areas. Should I leave these areas alone and let him do the work or should I put some paste on them when I get it ?

Let me know how I did honestly to so I don't make the same mistake twice incase I deal with this again.

[img]https://img32.imageshack.us/img32/9868/areas0012.jpg[/img]

[img]https://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1318/areas00131.jpg[/img]
Also as far as that root u can even see my cut and its pretty dead lol and if I could go down to York, PA and tip ya I would.

Tachigi
Cool Member

BD,

Buddy...go back and re-read my post above on how to apply cut paste. Its like clay or play doh...which won't brush on :P

So far so good....now leave the thing alone till your cut paste arrives....I'm sure you have another victim...errrrrr...tree you can attend :wink:

bonsaidude
Cool Member

lol I know your only kidding, but you say " victim " am I treating him bad or somthing ? and I was only using " brush on " as a term to very littly putting the stuff on so its forms to the curves of tree or do I want a big hunk of it there as if it would become one with the tree. :wink: but I do see now way back about the envelope thickness. so I'm guessin I take this off down the road ?

On the side note I think I'm doing better than whoever rasied this guy. Yes I have other trees but they were actually rasied way better and did not come with these problems I shouldnt have to deal with just yet.

bonsaidude
Cool Member

God these little bugs are makin me mad, treated it two times already 2nd time was wendsday (saw them then to ) and I checked soil everyday since then diddnt see anything and now today I see them again. I can smell the friggin insecticde, how the hell do they still live in it ? more of just a statement not really a guestion but if u have anymore tips id take em, been usein the dampin with paper tower and not spraying method. Every 7 days like bottle said.... the one thing I want to do is repot him cuase I got him a nice new one, but its still to early correct ? I just wanna know whats going on down there.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”