monkeyboy75
Newly Registered

Bonsai soil?

Hello I am new and have found a lot of help and information here so far. My question is on bonsai soil. I can't find any pre mixed around where I live. I have found some advice on making soil and just want to put my questions out there to see what ideas anyone may have to add or change. Here is what I have to go on so far.

How to make bonsai soil, you will need one cup or container depends on how much you want to make, now the soils you want to mix to make bonsai soil are Turface Clay , Organic Potting Soil, Aged Pine Bark, we are going to use parts that is where the cup or container comes in at, start with 4 parts Turface Clay, then add 2 parts Organic Potting Soil, then add 10 parts Aged Pine Bark and mix them there you have Ready to use Bonsai Soil put tree in pot add you new mixed Bonsai soil and add water, if you do not have or can not get Turface Clay, use Oil dri you can get about any where.

I am having trouble finding the clay and pine bark. What alternatives would work best? I found some bark mulch for orchids but wasn't sure how that would work. How fine or small of pieces should the clay and bark be?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

monkeyboy75,

You can use a lot of things for bonsai soil. The Orchid bark is probably OK although it may need to be reduced in size. What type of bark is it? The Turface usually comes in 50# bags so you probably don't want to get that much for just one tree. You're in Ohio, correct? Look for something called Haydite, this is fired shale and serves a similar function as the Turface, which is clay. Both are fired and stable. Another choice is lava rock, easy to find but it can be hard to find in appropriate sizes.

All the particles should be about the same size which is why I would avoid the potting soil. This material is too fine and will wash into the spaces you are working so hard to provide. Think of this as the old maxim that a 'chain is only as strong as its weakest link'. Similarly, your bonsai soil will only drain as well as the finest particles will allow.

I use screens to size my materials, my usual mix is 1/8" - 1/4" sieving out anything that is too small or too large. Ratios will vary with no one mix being ideal for every species/location/pot size/watering preference/etc.

I'm not surprised that you are having trouble locating a ready made material locally, I have as well. For one tree you could avoid all of this and simply purchase a few quarts on-line. Shipping such heavy material makes little sense if you need a large quantity but for a small amount you will save yourself a lot of grief. If this sounds like the route you would like to take we can make some suggestions.

Norm

MC Mixin Bricks

if no one in your area is making "pre-made" bonsai soil available, looks like you got a chance to be that person, eh?

Marsman
Green Thumb

Here's how I made my soil: [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21285]Soil on Mars[/url]. It might help you in making your own. It's fun, but takes a lot of time.

Next time, I'm going to buy components from [url=https://www.shop.northstarbonsai.com/category.sc;jsessionid=092CFD52696C37882297BA9FCB84BD40.qscstrfrnt02?categoryId=8]North Star[/url].

JerseyBonsai

hey MB,

I highly recommend North Star Bonsai for your soil. They carry a number of different types of soil, so you can combine and mix to make a mixture that best suits your watering schedule. I recently purchased from them and nearly every bag had 100% usable material. The lava rock bag had some very small particles and dust that I screened out, but thats understandable.

-Drew

Tachigi
Cool Member

Hi Drew,

Glad you were pleased with the soil! The lava was a bulk bag straight from the quarry so, as you said, fines are part of the game to keep costs down.

As you said we carry a lot of different soils, some on the site and some still to be added. However, it is important to remember that you must pick the right soil for the right type of tree. Even then everyone has their own micro-climate, and you must be intuitive as how to tweak your soil for that environment to get maximum performance from your tree.

This article is a good one for the basics of soil if you haven't read it yet.

[url=https://www.bonsaivault.com/Soils.html]Bonsai Soils[/url]

Marsman
Green Thumb

Tom,

Welcome to the site. Although I had fun making my own soil from the basic components, it was a lot more effort than I expected for a smaller usable quantity of soil than I hoped for. I look forward to using your components next time.

Victrinia Ridgeway

Tom...

I'm so glad you found your way over to this little slice of peaceful bonsai... You'll have to post some of your trees here... I think people would get a LOT out of it as your work is marvelous, even beyond your bonsai shop.

Goodness knows your experiance and expertise alone will be of tremendous value to everyone here.

Warmest regards,

Victrinia

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Tom,

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your input. I know you work a lot with Yews and I hope to work more with them in the future.

Norm

Big Vine

Hey Tom, welcome aboard! :D
Had I known about the lava rock material you've got available at North Star Bonsai before I started making my own, I'm sure I would have gone with it from the get-go.

Availability of this type of material---especially in the correct sizing and at a reasonable price---was my major challenge from the start. The lava products you offer are a solution to both of these challenges.

I've spent so much time and effort into my own mix that it would be difficult to justify the switch right away (particularly when I think it has been working well for me). But let me assure you that if my source 'runs dry,' I'll be knocking at your doorstep, so to speak. :wink:
BV (Sean)

Tachigi
Cool Member

Thanks all for the warm welcome

Marsman, Yep, getting soil sized, cleaned and mixed is a lot of work. I do 50 gallons at a time and am pooped by days end, and I am partially automated :shock: Looking to the opportunity of serving you in the future.

Ms. Vic, My dear friend thank you for enlightening me on this great forum and pointing me over here...if I recall you encouraged me in a similar way once before many moons ago :wink: You are to humble...your knowledge and talent shines brightly and is an asset to anyone smart enough to listen.

Norm, Great to catch up with you again its been a while. Looking forward to see what your going to do with yews...as you said I work a lot with them and they happen to be a favorite.

Sean, Making your own soil is a good thing on a bunch of different levels. Its an educational process that is invaluable whether you continue to make it or purchase it. Knowing how soil should look, feel and react enables you to amend it for your particular trees and environment which in turn will let your trees grow efficiently. If you have a local source that offers what you need then you should patronize them "if" they will help elevate your pursuit of bonsai and, as you said, if you need to look elsewhere were always here.

Rosaelyn

Tom,

I would also like to say welcome. :)

I recently purchased some lava rock and pine bark from you, and I am very much looking forward to mixing my soil this weekend. I plan to mix it with NAPA floor dry, which is working very well for me so far in other mixes, and is far easier for me to find locally.

It was Victrinia who pointed me to your website, but the excellent service experience will definitely make me come back when the time comes again.

Thnx! :)

Tachigi
Cool Member

Thank you Rosaelyn, its good to be here.

Am most gratified that your happy. Have fun mixing your soil nothing like getting your hands dirty :P

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”