zibbyds
Newly Registered

How to Care for a NEW Juniper Bonsai in Winter?

Hello everyone! I just got an outdoor green mound juniper. I don't want to kill it! Yet I think its too cold outdoors for it, I'm in the 4-5 growing area. There is no way to plant it outdoors in the dead of winter! My basement is cooler than in here but still to warm I think, my garage gets to 20 degrees and I don't wanna put it out there and kill it. Is there anyone that can help me get a start on this?! and keep it alive?! thankyou in advance!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi zibbyds! I just discovered that your post never got a response! Sorry about that. I have moved it from the Introduction section to the Bonsai forum where more people will see it who are likely to be able to answer your question.

Welcome to the forum!

You can also find a lot of information about care of your juniper bonsai, by typing that into the Search the Forum feature. There's been lots written here already about them.

Hope you find what you need and your new bonsai does well!

Kree

I've heard of people putting their bonsai in cardboard boxes but keeping the lids open and using indoor lights for bonsai in winter. this is supposed to keep it slightly warmer than the surrounding environment. perhaps you could do this with your juniper in your garage. however, I am myself only new to bonsai so perhaps you should first wait approval from a more experienced grower, or researching more into what I've suggested. :) hopefully at least I've helped a little!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Don't know where all our bonsai experts are (I'm not one of them!), but since they don't seem to be around, I pulled up a couple of those old threads I mentioned:

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=110796&highlight=juniper+bonsai+winter#110796

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=110071&highlight=juniper+bonsai+winter#110071

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=104124&highlight=juniper+bonsai+winter#104124

Hope this is helpful! Let us know how your tree is doing!

Tachigi
Cool Member

zibbyds,

This a pretty easy no brainer. Junipers live outdoors, bet you can see one from your front window as landscape material. So putting it outside should not be an issue as long as it came from a outdoor environment. Find a protected corner of your house and plunk it down get some burlap and cover the pot and the pack a lil snow up on it if its available.

Now if it came from a semi indoor environment...nursery cold frame in your area ...your garage is just the ticket. Junipers are not indoor trees and will most likely croak if you keep it there.

Bottom line is...don't baby it...it will do fine outside. Just protect it from wind which will dry it out in a heart beat...winter winds are notorious for evaporating moisture.

apples

I live close to the mojave desert.
Many juniper live there,in the sand,freezing in winter blistering in summer and they get soaked to the bone maybe twice a year,no watering otherwise.

Now I know your tree is in a pot,the roots would freeze solid,and they arnt free to seek out water.
Ive always heard to put it in an unheated garage.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”