maveriiick

Bark in bonsai Soil? Cedar Bark Mulch?

I understand that pine bark is a good additive to bonsai soil and seen the direct effects on my Sweet plums which thrive in soil with this added medium (I believe is increases porosity and acidity of the soil). I was wondering if cedar bark could be used in the same way? I have access to lots of cedar bark mulch and would like to use it in my spring soil preparation, but I'm cautious to any adverse aspects of using cedar.

What do you guys/gals suggests?

Rosaelyn

I am not familiar with cedar bark, personally, but it sounded like a good idea from what I already know of cedar - cedar chests for instance are used because they deter bugs.

It appears to have many positive qualities as a mulch:

https://www.helium.com/items/844154-advantages-of-cedar-mulch

I would guess the insulation would be less so when mixed into soil, instead of on top, but probably still very helpful. Even if only for the sake that it is a natural pest control, I think it sounds like a very good medium to try out. :)

Victrinia Ridgeway

I would test it first on anything you aren't overly in love with... The bark would need to be completely composted to be useful... shredded bark is not enough. You want the majority of the decomp to be finished as it lets off gases when it does. Cedar is so durable because of it's resin content that it may take a while longer than pine bark to decompose...

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”