Bonsai Fanatic
Newly Registered

Japanese Black Pine

Hey there :)

I have some Japanese Black Pine seedlings and I really do think they need some better draining soil. From the care guides I've read, they need a 50/50 akadama pumice mix. Any advice on how to repot them would be great, as I was hoping to pot them in separate pots now. Are there any 'preferences' that bonsai growers have when choosing a pot for a JBP? How big should it be to keep the tree a small size (less than 50cm)?

Another thing I was worrying about was the health of them. They don't look very healthy - do you think it is too late for them or can they still be salvaged? Would I need a light for them because they have received minimal sunlight over the winter months?

Thanks in advance :)

[img][img]https://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh114/AdorableMouse/DSCF1946.jpg[/img][/img]

Rosaelyn

Well, to start, pines are outdoor trees. So now that they are sprouted, that is where they would be happy. However, since it is winter, now is not a good time to just stick them out there. But that is very possibly why they look unhappy. Living indoors is a stressful environment for a tree. They really should be somewhere very cool and protected... near a drafty window might help... for the remainder of the winter.

As far as repotting, this should wait until spring as well. Separating them into their own pots is a good idea. For their size, I would suggest repotting each into a pot about the size they are all currently in. Slow progression up. You will probably need to repot them several more times into consecutively larger pots as they grow.

You want them to grow, because they are not at a point of being a "finished" bonsai as they are. They need growth and training. Training them while they grow will make them easier to style as you wish in the long run, but that is a long way down the road.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Bonsai Fanatic,

Rosaelyn's got you covered pretty well here. Just to add to what she said about growing versus keeping bonsai small, it is a misconception that bonsai, even ones grown from cuttings or seed, must be kept small from their inception. One of the main goals when growing bonsai is to produce a trunk of a decent size with some taper to it. In order to accomplish this a period of growth is required. To encourage growth it is counterproductive to keep your trees in very small pots their entire lives.

But, isn't there always a but :wink: , it is not appropriate to move up in large increments. Do as Rosaelyn advises step up gradually. Pine seedlings will require a strategy to create bonsai with and it won't be easy or quick. You cannot simply allow it to grow out and then whack it back as you might certain deciduous species. You have to plan it out and proceed with your plan over years and even decades.

Norm

Bonsai Fanatic
Newly Registered

So I use increasingly bigger pots, but do I then step it down again once the trunk has thickened sufficiently? Would it be able to stay out all year (we get down to about -5 degrees celcius in winter), or would it need frost protection? Sorry about all the questions, but I'm new to bonsai! Great site and members btw. Extremely helpful!

Rosaelyn

Stepping up the pots is to thicken the trunk and increase the fine roots which will be very important to a bonsai. Once the tree is to the size you want it, then you train it to live in a more shallow pot.

Pines are outdoor trees and Japanese Black Pines are tough characters. They survive in very frigid temperatures in the wild. A pine in a pot, however, will to require some protection from extreme temperatures and wind.

One way to ease the process while you are growing the tree would be to put it in the ground (assuming you have the means to do so). This will thicken the trunk faster and you will run very little risk of the tree freezing when temperatures get really low. Wind protection would still be a good idea.

Pines require a lot of work to make them bonsai. Here are two very good, indepth articles relating to caring for and training pines.

https://knowledgeofbonsai.org/articles/species-specific/the-pine/
https://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATPine%20Pruning.html

Much of this is training you can begin and think about while you are growing the tree - branching, roots, desired style. The one thing that you do not want to work on while still growing your tree is reducing the size of the needles, because this will slow down growth.

You want to make sure the tree is getting lots of light, water and food to make it grow as fast as it is willing.

For now, I would find the coldest place in your house and set them there. I would also keep a tray with some water under the pot, but make sure there are rocks in it or something to keep the pot from sitting in the water. The tray will just be for a humid environment around the trees, not for watering. They will not require much light right now, but they still need some. So it is not as easy as sticking them into a dark garage or a refrigerator like you might be able to do with a leafless tree.

Outdoor winter care is something you have plenty of time to read up on and ask questions about. :) Glad you found us and hope you have much success with your trees.

Marsman
Green Thumb

I agree with Rosaelyn, they should be in the ground. Let them grow for a couple of years, keeping an eye on them. Pick up some other trees to play with while they are growning.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”