girlpower98
Newly Registered

problem with my bonsai

My bonsai's have been neglected and many have died. The remaining living one's are struggling and need help. They are Japanese pine 15 to 30 years old. They have been all turning brown even though they are being watered. Is it to late to repot it & keep it alive?[/url]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

girlpower98,

Hello and welcome. Your attempt to post photos were unsuccessful. Please read [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724]this[/url] to learn about posting photos here.

I'm not sure what to say about your Pines, perhaps the pictures will help.

Norm

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Along with the pictures, you can help gnome (and other bonsai folk around here) out, by saying more about how you are treating them and what conditions they are in, how long you have had them, etc.

You mention the watering. How much, how often? I think more plants are killed by overwatering than underwatering.

Are you keeping them indoors? Pine like a lot of other trees doesn't really do very well staying indoors in dry heated air all winter.

What kind of light do they get?

Victrinia Ridgeway

If you have no succulent buds/needles on the tips of your branches... and the needles are browning all over... then the tree probably died some time ago. If you at least have normal looking buds and green needles at the tips then it can likely be salvaged. Pine needles persist for up to 5 years on blackpines as a general rule when they are not pruned.

Needlecast is a fungus that attacks black pines as well... and when it's an el nino year... that can make it worse... Without photos and the other information requested, a more precise response can not be given.

Good luck...

Victrinia

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”