Gnome
Super Green Thumb

KasWear,
four nodes,.. bonsai nodes and hormones must be different from other plants etc
In horticulture a node is the spot where a leaf, and usually later a branch, emerges from the stem. If you examine a Maple stem it is pretty obvious where the nodes are, the sections in between nodes are known as internodes.

Cuttings are generally severed just below a node as roots often emerge at that point.

BTW, cuttings can be softwood, semi-hardwood or hardwood depending upon the time of year they are taken. Some plants respond better to one method and some are able to be taken at more than one stage.

Norm

KasWear
Cool Member

Thanks,

I'm going to read the good ladys links, ... tomorrow .. :)

yours

Kas

djlen
Green Thumb

arborrelli wrote:
KasWear wrote:Thanks for that,

So what do I cut then, a branch .... ?? sorry for noobness .. :(
The only way to learn is to ask questions or looking it up online (or books).

For cuttings, it is my understanding that you can take any branch that has been removed from a plant.
You know, this is a very true statement. I would not have wasted so much time and good bonsai material if I'd just had the common sense to ask questions rather than trying to do it myself.

A node is as described very well by Norm above. One takes a branch or twig that has 5 or 6 leaves (nodes) on it.
Strip off the bottom leaf or two. Dip the branch into the rooting hormone powder past the highest stripped node. Tap off excess powder and make your hole in the moistened medium (I use clean turface for this) with a chop stick. Put the branch into the hole, deep enough to cover the highest stripped and powdered node and push medium against the sides of the branch to support and hold it (gently). I like to mist the cutting and cover it to preserve humidity until you start to see signs of growth.
Many Rooting Hormones have anti fungals though few state that on the container, IME. I've always had little problem with damping off when I used clean medium and a Rooting Hormone.
My apologies to Rosaelyn for getting so far into the weeds and off her original topic with this one. :roll:

KasWear
Cool Member

Well I thank Ros for the links I have to read, and you sir for an excellent lamen view of what is needed initially ... :)

yours

kas

Rosaelyn

No worries. :) The original point of the topic was to encourage growing bonsai from a tiny, raw start.

...And of course, one more way to keep ourselves occupied until spring, eh?

Oh and Len, I have not forgotten your post and questions... I took some pics this morning of the three species you asked about, but I am looking for my camera cable. :oops: A recent move and I am still feeling totally disorganized. Heh And I think it would be appropriate for me to start a new thread for that.

For now, let me say that all three you asked about (Firethorn, Bougainvillea and Atlas Cedar) I have read and heard are not frost hardy and are growing well for me indoors - at least until spring.

I promise to answer in a more involved matter as soon as I can get my pics uploaded...

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”