Rosaelyn

Something to Inspire (whilst whiddling away the winter...)

I was reading some of the wonderful articles on Knowledge of Bonsai, and came across one that made me think...

https://knowledgeofbonsai.org/articles/misc/beginners-and-bonsai/

So many times a beginner shows up to a workshop with (or posts a picture to a forum of) a “stick in a potâ€

Big Vine

Great post, Rosaelyn.
Rosaelyn wrote:Now, I do agree that anyone wishing to start from a seed should also have a tree in a more advanced state. Otherwise, I think anyone of us would be far too tempted to "fiddle" with the tiny tree we are trying to grow. :)
Yes indeed, and most of us should know that too much 'fiddling' with the plants isn't good for them!
It has taken me a LOT of restraint and patience not to 'fiddle' with the very young plant material I currently have (which is about all I've got at the moment!)---and this is only AFTER learning some very tough lessons the hard way. :oops:

That's one of the reasons I'm really looking forward to the trip down to Jim Smith's nursery next month to pick out some advanced materials ('advanced' for me meaning anything older than a cutting :wink: )---it'll give me a chance to work on some refinement, which I'm sure will be much more refreshing than simply waiting on younger pre-bonsai stock to grow out year after year without touching it.
BV

JerseyBonsai

I'm hoping to get something along all the stages to satisfy all my bonsai needs :) Patience with seeds I intend to get this summer. Some close caring with "mallsai" that I'm trying to improve and definitely would like to get my hands on something a little older around 10-15 years. 8)

djlen
Green Thumb

Thank you Rosaelyn for this post.
From childhood I have always been intrigued most by watching plants grow.
I have been into our hobby for 40 years but still get a kick out of planting seeds and amazed when they grow. Taking cuttings and amazed when they root. :) That amazement has not change an iota. :roll:
Since expanding into the indoor culture I'm little more than a newbie and every time I have a success it's like a miracle.
A month or so ago I started experimenting with cuttings and low and behold I'm having success with Fukien and Serissa cuttings. I just moved the little ones below from 'flats' made from those plastic Rotisserie Chicken things one can buy in the supermarket. They make great little 'green houses', keeping the seedlings moist until one is ready to transplant into little cups.
As usual, I was amazed at the root systems these things developed in 6 weeks or so.
I think all three of these boxes are containers from salad my wife bought at the supermarket. They will keep my transplants nice an moist as the transition from 100% turface to a mix with some organics:
[img]https://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/djlen/Bonsai%20Pictures/IMG_2690a.jpg[/img]

Here's a peak inside:
[img]https://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/djlen/Bonsai%20Pictures/IMG_2692a.jpg[/img]

I also use extra aquariums as green houses. Here are some Chinese Elms growing from seed. I only got 4 out of about 20 cups planted:
[img]https://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/djlen/Bonsai%20Pictures/IMG_2695a.jpg[/img]

And another aquarium with Lemon and Grapefruit seedlings:
[img]https://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c145/djlen/Bonsai%20Pictures/IMG_2696a.jpg[/img]

Don't know if this will inspire anyone but it sure is a fun way to spend the time between summers when I used to twiddle my thumbs waiting for my "outdoor" trees to come out of dormancy. :roll:

Rosaelyn

Len,

Oh my! What gorgeous little guys! I luv the idea of the salad/rotisserie chicken pans for mini greenhouses. :D

I do not have any cuttings in progress at the moment, but that has certainly inspired me on what to do when I begin my spring/summer trimming.

I do have a few crabapple seeds I put into a pot in the fall. It is outside, covered in snow and waiting for spring to see if this natural cold stratifying will wake them up into tiny trees. <crosses fingers> So far, those are my only seeds.

I am very glad that my musings could spark a conversation while we all watch out the window for the snow to recede and our trees to awaken. :)

djlen
Green Thumb

You really should try some of the Sub-tropical stuff next fall Rosaelyn.
It's been a much more interesting Winter this year than I remember in a long time.
I've discovered, among others, the Sageretia which is very similar to the Chinese Elm in habit, but can be cultivated and pinched all Winter.
I've got a gazillion cuttings going from that as well which I hope to make a nice forest out of. :)

KasWear
Cool Member

What do you cut exactly to place in a new pot .. ?? ... ta

Kas

Rosaelyn

Oh, I have some tropicals/sub-tropicals... I have my Fukien Tea, a Bougainvillea, a Pyracantha, some Jades, some Ficus, some Atlas Cedars, a Pomegranate and a Lignum Vitae to keep me company while it's cold and snowy. :)

Some are large/old enough to consider well on their way to being bonsai, and some are very young (my Cedars and Lignum Vitae in particular).

I have tried a few cuttings... from my Ficus mostly... and have yet to have any luck there. I was using a large Ziploc baggie to keep them moist, but I do not think I was airing it out enough, because all I grew was some mold. :oops:

Oh well. I consider it a learning curve, and I will keep trying and improving upon my technique. :)

djlen
Green Thumb

Rosaelyn wrote:Oh, I have some tropicals/sub-tropicals... I have my Fukien Tea, a Bougainvillea, a Pyracantha, some Jades, some Ficus, some Atlas Cedars, a Pomegranate and a Lignum Vitae to keep me company while it's cold and snowy. :)

I have tried a few cuttings... from my Ficus mostly... and have yet to have any luck there. I was using a large Ziploc baggie to keep them moist, but I do not think I was airing it out enough, because all I grew was some mold. :oops: :)
I had forgotten. Some of them, you have written about. And there are two that I wanted to ask you about.......actually three. Do you find that the Bougainvillea grows OK in the winter inside? I've thought seriously about getting one of them.
And the other two are Pyracantha and Atlas Cedars. Can these two actually be happy indoors. I've worked with Pyracantha, but never knew it could be kept indoors. And the Cedar is a complete surprise.
Can you talk about them for us?

KasWear -
All you need is three or four nodes, some rooting hormone (not even that in Spring), and a bright, light potting medium. Place them in a small, what I call a green house as described above, and you should get reasonable success with them in anywhere from 6 - 8 weeks.
Good luck! :wink:

KasWear
Cool Member

Thanks for that,

So what do I cut then, a branch .... ?? sorry for noobness .. :(

arborrelli

KasWear wrote:Thanks for that,

The only way to learn is to ask questions or looking it up online (or books).

For cuttings, it is my understanding that you can take any branch that has been removed from a plant.

KasWear
Cool Member

four nodes, some rooting hormone ... well I don't know what that means and bonsai nodes and hormones must be different from other plants etc .. I'm totally new to gardening / planting .. :(

Marsman
Green Thumb

You can buy rooting hormone at Home Depot. Just dip the cut end in the powder, make a hole with your chopstick in the soil and pop it in. (Don't just push it in, use the chopstick.)

KasWear
Cool Member

Thanks,

I take it a node could be the small branch/cutting, and this could do the hormone bit .. ?? :)

https://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?isSearch=true&fh_search=rooting+hormone&x=17&y=16

Rosaelyn

https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_Cuttings.html
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/cuttings.htm
https://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/hort/hil/hil-8702.html

Some good reading material on the subject. It is a complex process that I have yet to master. But if you have any questions, please feel free to ask more. :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

KasWear,
four nodes,.. bonsai nodes and hormones must be different from other plants etc
In horticulture a node is the spot where a leaf, and usually later a branch, emerges from the stem. If you examine a Maple stem it is pretty obvious where the nodes are, the sections in between nodes are known as internodes.

Cuttings are generally severed just below a node as roots often emerge at that point.

BTW, cuttings can be softwood, semi-hardwood or hardwood depending upon the time of year they are taken. Some plants respond better to one method and some are able to be taken at more than one stage.

Norm

KasWear
Cool Member

Thanks,

I'm going to read the good ladys links, ... tomorrow .. :)

yours

Kas

djlen
Green Thumb

arborrelli wrote:
KasWear wrote:Thanks for that,

The only way to learn is to ask questions or looking it up online (or books).

For cuttings, it is my understanding that you can take any branch that has been removed from a plant.
You know, this is a very true statement. I would not have wasted so much time and good bonsai material if I'd just had the common sense to ask questions rather than trying to do it myself.

A node is as described very well by Norm above. One takes a branch or twig that has 5 or 6 leaves (nodes) on it.
Strip off the bottom leaf or two. Dip the branch into the rooting hormone powder past the highest stripped node. Tap off excess powder and make your hole in the moistened medium (I use clean turface for this) with a chop stick. Put the branch into the hole, deep enough to cover the highest stripped and powdered node and push medium against the sides of the branch to support and hold it (gently). I like to mist the cutting and cover it to preserve humidity until you start to see signs of growth.
Many Rooting Hormones have anti fungals though few state that on the container, IME. I've always had little problem with damping off when I used clean medium and a Rooting Hormone.
My apologies to Rosaelyn for getting so far into the weeds and off her original topic with this one. :roll:

KasWear
Cool Member

Well I thank Ros for the links I have to read, and you sir for an excellent lamen view of what is needed initially ... :)

yours

kas

Rosaelyn

No worries. :) The original point of the topic was to encourage growing bonsai from a tiny, raw start.

...And of course, one more way to keep ourselves occupied until spring, eh?

Oh and Len, I have not forgotten your post and questions... I took some pics this morning of the three species you asked about, but I am looking for my camera cable. :oops: A recent move and I am still feeling totally disorganized. Heh And I think it would be appropriate for me to start a new thread for that.

For now, let me say that all three you asked about (Firethorn, Bougainvillea and Atlas Cedar) I have read and heard are not frost hardy and are growing well for me indoors - at least until spring.

I promise to answer in a more involved matter as soon as I can get my pics uploaded...

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”