KasWear
Cool Member

Feeling a little ignored and slighy perplexed ... :roll: :cry: :cry:

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

KasWear wrote:Feeling a little ignored and slighy perplexed ... :roll: :cry: :cry:
Well, you already did the re-potting so there is not a lot to say about that now. As for the bulb question, you only posted that 10 Hrs ago or so.

Fluorescents are preferred because they give more in the way of light energy in relation to the amount of heat they produce. Since they are cooler you can get them much closer to the plant without the danger of overheating.

Norm

KasWear
Cool Member

Thanks,

I'm a bit inpatient/excited with my new hobby ... but low energy bulbs don't give of the heat much, so are flourescents essential .. as I would rather use what I have if attal possible .. ta

yours

Kas

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

KasWear,

Ficus can do OK under low light conditions but they will do better if you provide better lighting. If your plant gets some natural light you may be able to get away with no, or minimal, supplemental lighting. On the other hand if you have it situated in a dim room, away from any windows, then supplemental lighting becomes more important.

Norm

KasWear
Cool Member

Thanks,

She will be getting real sunshine when the temperature allows it, the following pic is what I have her under for a good 10 - 14 hours, the sun is not coming through the window much at present, but come spring it is prominent from around 9 am - midday ...

The highest light is a glow bright low watt, and the lower light on the left is a standard 40 w at present as the 11w one blew, was looking to revert back to a 11w, but the current one gives out some heat towards the plant, without damaging it ...

What do you think ... is that enough ... ta

[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e53/covdude/31012010.jpg[/img]

yours

Kaswear

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

KasWear,
What do you think ... is that enough
I can't give you a definitive yes or nor answer but the strength of light drops off dramatically the farther the lights are from the plant. Lights at ceiling level are going to be weak, it's unavoidable. The closer you can get fluorescents the better it will be.

Are you going to be placing it outside during the summer or do you intend to manage it as an indoor tree permanently? If the latter, an investment in better lighting will probably be needed sooner or later.

Norm

KasWear
Cool Member

Thanks ,

I will put her out for days in the sun, I'm a bit worried about her getting pinched to leave her overnight, and I will get some flouresecnt lights aswell ... as I like the ficus and intend growing some of her ...

ta

Kas

KasWear
Cool Member

Hier,

I made a noob mistake when repotting, I discarded most of the roots that covered the bottom of the old pot ... and as my tree is losing leaves a lot, have I killed it, or is there something I can do ... I'm buying some flourescent bulbs in the week, I have a small heatmat under the pot now ... any clarification on noob removal of root matter and its results ...

ta

Kas

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

KasWear,
I made a noob mistake when repotting, I discarded most of the roots that covered the bottom of the old pot ... and as my tree is losing leaves a lot, have I killed it, or is there something I can do ... I'm buying some flourescent bulbs in the week, I have a small heatmat under the pot now ... any clarification on noob removal of root matter and its results ...
Ficus can withstand rough treatment if they are handled correctly. With good light, high humidity and warm temperatures your tree would likely have responded much better.
One more thing, in my experience while Ficus are pretty tough, I have had the most luck doing this type of work while it is warm. They are actively growing then and recover well. Spring at the earliest but summer is perhaps the best. I would not mess around with it too much right now.
Ficus can do OK under low light conditions but they will do better if you provide better lighting. If your plant gets some natural light you may be able to get away with no, or minimal, supplemental lighting. On the other hand if you have it situated in a dim room, away from any windows, then supplemental lighting becomes more important.
The only thing you can do now is to provide it with the best conditions you can manage and make sure not to water it too frequently. A tree with no foliage will transpire water at a slower rate.

I sincerely hope your Ficus recovers but there is a lesson to be learned here, a lesson that many of us, myself included, have learned the hard way.

Norm

KasWear
Cool Member

Yes, thanks for that, I have read those quotes .... and acted on them ... it does not answer the missing roots query, all the rest I'm doing, and it needed repotting, the meduim and space was woefull ... :arrow:

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

KasWear,
Yes, thanks for that, I have read those quotes .... and acted on them ... it does not answer the missing roots query,
There's not really anything to be said now. Ficus can recover from such treatment but whether or not yours will, considering the present circumstances, only time will tell. Maintain the best conditions you can manage and wait it out. Sometimes these things work out, sometimes they don't. We all lose trees, more so early on. If you do, consider it a learning experience.

Norm

KasWear
Cool Member

Yes, but it's over ten years old and I doubt I've killed it on one week ... a amount of roots taken out and the effects was what I was asking, not a rehash of the overall situation that I'm aware of ... :arrow:

Rosaelyn

Mature trees are just as likely as young trees to favor badly from a repotting mishap or underwatering or pest attacks, etc.

The normal rule of thumb for repotting is trimming off about 1/4-1/3 of the root system. A healthy Ficus can usually handle a heavier trimming. However, a repotting performed on any unhealthy tree can be detrimental.

KasWear
Cool Member

Thanks, I've started stroking her and talking to her, promising her more light and warmth .... :cry: :lol: :shock:

Rosaelyn

I am firm believer that my trees enjoy being talked to. They enjoy listening to techno, as well. ;) lol

KasWear
Cool Member

Having learnt and not wanting my Bonsai to die, with leaves falling off because of lack of light mainly, they now live in a tropical type enviroment with lots of light and more to come ...

[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e53/covdude/From%20feb%20ten%20ten/02032010.jpg[/img]

Will up date when I've truely saved them .. :)

KasWear
Cool Member

Update pics ...

[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e53/covdude/11062010001.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e53/covdude/11062010.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e53/covdude/11062010002.jpg[/img]

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”