JerseyBonsai

macro and micro nutrients for bonsai?

hello everyone
(can't get enough of this place)

I know because bonsai is grown in small pots and typically in inorganic material, either partially or completely hydroponic (right?), we have to supply it with it's nutrients. This is where our fertilizers come into play. So I was wondering what liquid fertilizer will provide all the necessary required for great overall health. I've read in numerous places while Miracle-Gro is great for development, typically in hydroponics the plant will need a little more. So I know all about NPK, but what about all those other micro nutrients? Iron, Zinc, etc...

-Drew

djlen
Green Thumb

JerseyBonsai wrote:hello everyone
(can't get enough of this place)

I know because bonsai is grown in small pots and typically in inorganic material, either partially or completely hydroponic (right?), we have to supply it with it's nutrients. This is where our fertilizers come into play. So I was wondering what liquid fertilizer will provide all the necessary required for great overall health. I've read in numerous places while Miracle-Gro is great for development, typically in hydroponics the plant will need a little more. So I know all about NPK, but what about all those other micro nutrients? Iron, Zinc, etc...

-Drew
MiracleGro comes in all kinds of 'flavors', and depending on the application is a complete fertilizer, not only covering all the Macro bases, but most of the Micro bases.
Unless one is pushing growth with tons of light I don't see much reason for the average enthusiast to want or need additives.
Having said that, I've been experimenting with nutrients for a long time and regularly dose extra Mg because in my opinion it aids in the uptake of some of the traces and also some of the Macros.
Most of my experience has come with aquatic plants where the variables are a bit different. One cannot use Urea based nutrients in an aquarium so it's more of a mix and match game and the rules change a bit. I also dose some of the other trace elements in learning what works for my Bonsai related plants and feel that certain plants under higher light benefit from the extra traces.
Generally though Peters and MiracleGro supply everything needed in most cases and can be counted on to supply everything most hobbyists need.

TomM
Greener Thumb

OK. But what about the more balanced fertilizers out there? Do you ever use zero or low nitrogen? Fish emulsion?
SUPERthrive? Now there's a whole 'nother topic.

Rosaelyn

I use balanced fertilizer for my trees. For some of my tropicals, I swap for Miracid occasionally. As a rule of thumb, I try to acquire fertilizers that contain micronutrients.

Low or no nitrogen fertilizer is good for Wisteria, as they produce their own nitrogen. It is also said to be good to use late in the season, before leafdrop, to help "harden off" new growth.

A really simplified breakdown:

Nitrogen (N) = leaf growth
Phosphorous (P) = root growth
Potassium (K) = flower growth

Here is a good article relating specifically to feeding your trees:

https://www.bonsai4me.com/Basics/Basics_Feed.html

Victrinia Ridgeway

I use several different things, Superthrive among them... but if you want a one shoe fits everything kind of item... then BioGold is likely for you. I use it a lot, it's a little spendy maybe, but it's great and you always know when to add more since it melts. (Unlike poo-balls, which you have to replace in intervals.)

The trees love it...

Victrinia

JerseyBonsai

hey everyone,

this is what ive pretty much decided to follow for my area:
early srping- fertilizer higher in nitrogen w/superthrive
spring/summer- balanced NPK fertilizer
late summer/fall- no nitrogen, higher K to help get hardy for the winter :lol:
winter- sleepy time, no fertilzer (for temperate trees)

Superthrive is AWESOME!!! Just re-potted my Chinese Elm a little earlier than scheduled, because I was really unhappy with the soil. While I was repotting I let his roots stand and soak in superthrive solution. I cut the supplemental lighting and watered when needed with superthrive added. After a few days my elm started to show signs of new growth!

-Drew

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”