GardenerX

Different Fruit Tree Types For Bonsai?

Hey Everyone,

I'm getting pretty serious about my collection now meaning I've gotten many trees, had some die, kept some alive, and the ones I kept alive are still going strong :wink: but thats not what this post is about...

I want to add a Fruit Tree to my collection anyone know a good one to start with I hear Pomagranate is good for beginers-experts but I want something a little more unussual maybe an apple tree or orange or even a blue/blackberry bush....

If anyone has any suggestions let me know please oh and I'm also looking for fruit tree vendors. TY :!:

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

GardenerX,

You have to watch buying fruit trees from regular nurseries for use as bonsai, most are grafted with the 'named variety'. All too often these grafts are too high, too obvious, or both. Always go with cutting grown material if you have the choice.

Most of the plants you mentioned can be used with the exception, I think, of Blackberry. This plant sends up new suckers each season so I don't see how it could possibly be suitable. I have seen a few really nice Blueberries but I suspect finding a suitable trunk will be challenging. Crab Apples make good bonsai, flowering then setting small fruit. There are small fruited forms of Pomegranate and Citrus available as well. Other flowering trees are used for bonsai such as various Prunus species (Cherries, Plums or Apricot) or even Pear.

Standard trees, ones that produce full sized fruit, are generally avoided if you want to allow fruit. Such large fruits can put a lot of stress on a small potted tree. Even the small fruited plants are not allowed to set a full crop, and some years perhaps none at all. In the early stages of development often flowering is discouraged to favor the growth of the tree so unless you manage to find an old trunk it may be a while before you get to enjoy the 'fruits of your labor' :wink:

Norm

Rosaelyn

Actually, pomegranates may be becoming popular, but they are more uncommon and exotic than crabapples. Crabapples are a long standing species for bonsai. I think they are a fabulous material for the art, and I plan to add one to my miniature forest soon. :)

The idea of a blueberry has crossed my mind as well, as I saw some for sale from Hirt's Gardens on eBay a few months back. (Can't seem to find any ATM.) Considering the size of the fruit and, heck, I like blueberries. ;)

Other than eBay, I have not found many places online to purchase fruiting bonsai. There is Bonsai Boy, in New York, and they have great service and decent trees... but they run a little expensive for what I'd look to spend on a tree right now. I can get young material cheaper elsewhere online or rougher material at a nursery and usually cheaper.

I'm sure there are some southern nurseries online that might have good material for fruiting trees. So some of our Florida friends may have more ideas. :)

djlen
Green Thumb

I think the one that Hirts sells is called a Top Hat Blueberry and they are very conducive to growing in pots or patio containers, and I think they bare fruit in just a few years.
I have a whole shopping list ready for Hirts when the weather gets nicer.:)

Rosaelyn

LOL I am glad I am not the only one. ;)

I am trying to be good, though. It looks like our bonsai club will be having a number of workshops this year and I am wanting to attend them, which might "require" me to acquire a few more trees.

<is thinking SPRING!>

majed

I have one grafted small form of Pomegranate in a shallow,as it has very small size of leaves,loooks nice.but I have found difficult to keep fruit on it.
small citrus is also good option,there are also small form of guava.

GardenerX

Thanks guys,

I haven't been home so I haven't been able to answer anyone lol but thank you for your replies and I'll be looking bonsai fruit trees up for the next few days because I just got Taxes back so I have money to spend lol.... so if anyone knows a realy good site where they can ship to Texas without being dameged or dieing before they arrive I will be forever greatful THANK YOU.....

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”