bonsaidude
Cool Member

Should I Trim my Chinese Elm Bonsai?

hey everyone I'm new to bonsai pround owner of chinese elm about 10 years old. Had him for about 5 days now he seems to be doing great alot of new growth I do see some dieing leaves and some yellow but I'm not to worried cuase he has alot of green. I was wondering he has some random just twigs in the top part that don't have leaves and arent doin much are these important or can I trim these anytime or just wait for when I prune. Other than that I'm hopin for the best and I care for him like a baby but not to much lol heres some pictures

When I got him
[img]https://img26.imageshack.us/img26/1808/picture030ud.jpg[/img]

After I gave him a home
[img]https://img63.imageshack.us/img63/6651/picture032fc.jpg[/img]

Close up of moss
[img]https://img26.imageshack.us/img26/4995/picture031e.jpg[/img]

Some of the dieing leaves :( figure its normal you tell me
[img]https://img135.imageshack.us/img135/1897/picture036h.jpg[/img]

djlen
Green Thumb

Hi bonsaidude and welcome to the forum -

A couple of questions for you. Are those stones on the surface of the soil glued down? Many store bought trees are made that way, with the stones glued in order to keep the soil in during shipping. If they are, you must remove them as they interfere with the aeration of the soil and watering.
Does the pot have holes in the bottom? When you water, does the water run through and out the bottom fairly freely?
These are important considerations for your tree's long term health. That's why I ask.
Now for lighting. Is it getting just available light from a window or are you supplying extra fluorescent light over it? It will do much better with bright light and at this time of year a window rarely supplies enough light to satisfy the needs of an Elm. Elms need a period of dormancy each year and with low light an Elm will think it is time to rest and may start dropping it's leaves.
Please answer these questions and we'll have a better idea of what we're dealing with and be better able to assist you further.

bonsaidude
Cool Member

hey thanks for the reply, and no the rocks are not glued what I did was added those big ones and I scraped all the lose little ones off the top I left some for moisture and added moss for some help and appearance. About the drainage I honestly don't know I want to say it dosent I diddnt think it did since it came with that holder, but I only keep it moist and wont be over watering it. I may soon buy a light for him I was just gonna try to keep him indoor/ outdoor in summer but I wasent gonna go that crazy but I may. Is it ok if I don't buy a light ? and if he drops his leaves they will grow back ? cuase I do notice some dieing ones but I'm thinking you just leave them to fall. I thought he was tropical and would keep them year round, but I expected some falling leaves anyways. I thank you for all info and any main info you can give I did some research myself and hoping for the best.

djlen
Green Thumb

bonsaidude wrote:hey thanks for the reply, and no the rocks are not glued what I did was added those big ones and I scraped all the lose little ones off the top I left some for moisture and added moss for some help and appearance. About the drainage I honestly don't know I want to say it dosent I diddnt think it did since it came with that holder, but I only keep it moist and wont be over watering it. I may soon buy a light for him I was just gonna try to keep him indoor/ outdoor in summer but I wasent gonna go that crazy but I may. Is it ok if I don't buy a light ? and if he drops his leaves they will grow back ? cuase I do notice some dieing ones but I'm thinking you just leave them to fall. I thought he was tropical and would keep them year round, but I expected some falling leaves anyways. I thank you for all info and any main info you can give I did some research myself and hoping for the best.
An Elm is a deciduous tree and needs period of dormancy in the fall, however you can keep him inside for the rest of the winter and then put him outside when the night time temps. go above 40°F. Next fall you can leave it out to experience some cold nights and a few frosts and let it drop it's leaves. He is not a tropical tree. There are some who feel that they can be kept inside year round but I'm in the camp that say he must have a period of dormancy outside. We will explain more about that later.

My question about drainage was more to find out how dense your soil is.
You want a soil that when you water it, the water doesn't pool on the surface but sinks in and drains through. This means it's a porous soil and won't hold too much water where the roots are and also lets air circulate around them. This will keep them healthy.

As to light. If you have a very bright, south facing window he will probably be OK in that light. My suggestion however is that he will be much happier under a screw-in Compact Fluorescent light while in the house. They really like a lot of light. If you are not over watering, he is probably dropping leaves due to feeling as though it's time for dormancy due to the short photo-period that Winter provides. To convince him otherwise we use fluorescent lighting. You can find a clamp-on single bulb shop light at Home Depot for about $7 [url=https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cable-05932-Heavy-Reflector/dp/B0007UV9VM/ref=pd_sbs_indust_1.htm]LIKE THIS[/url] and a screw-in CF (100w equivalent) bulb for about another $5 and he will be thrilled with that.

For some excellent information on Elms [url=https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Ulmus.html.]here[/url] is a good start for you.

bonsaidude
Cool Member

wow I cant thank you anymore for the help no one ever helps this much !! and update I lifted him and he has drain holes :) ya the only thing I'm in question is cuase I thought that he was tropical plant is the dormancy periods. So as of right now I bought him like this and has his leaves, so did we skip his dormancy period this year ? in a way ? and I can understand then why he might be droping some now. so I'm guesin I should just keep him in the sun or light for rest of the year and then try give him a dormancy time come fall ? one last thing about the trimming I notice that average time to prune in early springish and ima shoot for that, just there some little twigs I say it like that cuase there not big like a branch would be but its tiny and dosent have anything on it can I remove these ? if I don't like where there at and theres some areas that are growing into each other and I wanna free them to grow nice. I diddnt know if this would harsh the plant or strain him but could I do that stuff now ?
Last edited by bonsaidude on Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djlen
Green Thumb

Exactly. The object now is to make him as happy as possible until he goes outside in the spring. Don't leave him out at night until the night temps. stay above 45 deg. F because he's become accustomed to the warmth of the house. When Fall comes he will very gradually be subjected to cooler temps. and be OK even for the frost that will come later. He will then lose most of his leaves and go into domancy. Depending on your zone a time will come for you to put him in a garage or other unheated building where he will be chilled but be protected from severe weather. There he is getting the rest he needs to thrive long term.
In Mid-January you can bring him into the house and he'll have a few months dormancy and be ready to pop. for an "early spring". Or, you can leave him out in the unheated building until the March or so and then put him back out in the sun to pop when he feels it's time. We can discuss care while he over-winters later. It's down the road.
In the meantime I hope you'll invest in a light, as discussed above, for him. Give him a misting once or twice during the day (not just before lights out) and if possible put a drip tray under him with some pebbles and water in it to help raise his humidity levels a bit. These little things will make him much happier than just setting him in a window with available light.
Buy a bag of shish-kabob skewers at the supermarket and push one into his soil till it touches the pot's bottom. Leave it there for 2 or 3 mins. and pull it out. If it's dry he needs a drink. If it's moist he's fine till the next day when you test again.
After a while you'll get to know when he's thirsty, but it's always good to test occasionally to see what the stick tells you.
I can't believe I'm calling this tree "him". :roll:
If we can be of any more help please ask.
Good Luck!!! :)

bonsaidude
Cool Member

haha !! I call him " him " all the time man hes my little guy haha and I want him to be happy as he can be !! I tried to squezze this last question in there but you answerd quick lol but one last thing about the trimming I notice that average time to prune in early springish and ima shoot for that, just there some little twigs I say it like that cuase there not big like a branch would be but its tiny and dosent have anything on it can I remove these ? if I don't like where there at and theres some areas that are growing into each other and I wanna free them to grow nice. I diddnt know if this would harsh the plant or strain him but could I do that stuff now so he can grow freely ? Sorry for so many questions but I can say you have been most helpful and appreciate it !!
Last edited by bonsaidude on Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

bonsaidude,
So as of right now I bought him like this and has his leaves, so did we skip his dormancy period this year ? in a way ? and I can understand then why he might be droping some now. so I'm guesin I should just keep him in the sun or light for rest of the year and then try give him a dormancy time come fall ?
Chinese Elm is a bit unusual for a tree. This species has the ability to be either deciduous or evergreen depending upon how it is handled and possibly its origin. As Len suggested, and I agree, it is better to allow a proper dormant period over the winter. For this season, I would not worry about it too much but in the future I would advise leaving it outside during cool weather only sheltering it as required. This is dependent upon your location so we should discuss that later.

Norm

bonsaidude
Cool Member

hey norm, I live in new england connecticut to be exact

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

bonsaidude,

I usually leave my Chinese Elms outside totally exposed until around Thanksgiving. By that time my trees that stay outside are getting tucked in under mulch. I do give Chinese Elms more protection, moving them into an unheated garage for the balance of the winter.

Norm

bonsaidude
Cool Member

awsome deff gonna remember that, do you know anything about that last trimming question I asked ?

djlen
Green Thumb

bonsaidude wrote:....just there some little twigs I say it like that cuase there not big like a branch would be but its tiny and dosent have anything on it can I remove these ? if I don't like where there at and theres some areas that are growing into each other and I wanna freul and appreciate it !!e them to grow nice.
Yes, you can trim off little stuff to keep it looking nice and neat. In the spring you will see a real growth spurt and you will be constantly pinching and trimming to keep it in bounds and neat looking. With an Elm there is always something to think about because you define how it's going to look by what and where you trim off.
You will not need to fertilize until later unless you put a lot of lighting over it and force growth, so you can ask about that when the time comes.

I believe that Norm and you will have similar zonal quality so Thanksgiving would be a good time to start to consider protection. It will have experienced enough cooling to go completely dormant at that time.
Elms retain a few of their leaves in Fall so if you put it into a garage with a window, place it near the window. It's not critical, but many people ask that question so I'll answer it before you ask. :) They are basically asleep at that time of year.

bonsaidude
Cool Member

Last edited by bonsaidude on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bonsaidude
Cool Member

very cool !! and I just got back from home depot and got the exact lamp with a 75w plant blub and looks like its gonna be great. I have a great side of the house and he gets sun all day ( if its there ) but I plan to use the light on days he might not have got a good amount. Or should I give him a constant of it and if yes how many hours a day. I must say I like the sound of forced growth if that helps your answer, cuase I can be a tad impatient but I understand its a plant :o ima get him a friend I think this week a orange citrus bonsai :)

djlen
Green Thumb

Let's just try to keep him happy and content for now and as you learn you might want to push him later. :)
The bulb you got is a screw-in Compact Fluorescent correct? If not take it back and get one of those. Any fluorescent is a 'GroBulb'. Doesn't matter to the plant. Put it within 6" of your tree and give him light all day along with the window light, plus a couple of extra hours at night.

bonsaidude
Cool Member

so I'm guesin the philips 75w agro-lite plant light is no good I felt it might be to hot even 2-3 feet away lol

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

bonsaidude,
I felt it might be to hot even 2-3 feet away
If it is that hot at 2-3 feet you surely have an incandescent bulb. It's pretty much agreed that for the casual enthusiast, fluorescents are a better choice as you can get them much closer without the possibility of overheating the tree.
I have a great side of the house and he gets sun all day ( if its there ) but I plan to use the light on days he might not have got a good amount. Or should I give him a constant of it and if yes how many hours a day.
By all means, take advantage of your natural daylight. I leave my lights on 16 hours and off 8. An inexpensive timer is a real boon. I would suggest being consistent with the lighting and not try to judge whether to turn it on for any particular day.
I must say I like the sound of forced growth if that helps your answer
I think Len just meant that if you provide adequate lighting it should begin to really put on some new growth, at which time it would be appropriate to begin some form of fertilizer.

Norm

bonsaidude
Cool Member

ok sounds good, I'm going to grab a florescent light today on my way home. Thank norm and len very good info ill see you round the forums ! and I'm ordering him a citrus or Brazilian rain tree friend today. Any good word about bonsai boy site ? first time ima order a plant online.

djlen
Green Thumb

I would counsel against ordering anything that is Tropical or Semi-Tropical at this time. Wait until at least April for a delivery for anything like what you are talking about.
In fact any good, reputable nursery will tell you that they won't ship until later, even with a heat pack.

bonsaidude
Cool Member

how bout a maple ? since he would be dormant and he is only being shipped from new york which is close.

New set up 100 wat equv "compact flourescent " and fan on low speed not directly at him and I move him to window during the day
https://img191.imageshack.us/img191/797/picture041x.jpg

Marsman
Green Thumb

I'm concerned the fan might dry out the tree too quickly. :?

djlen
Green Thumb

Marsman wrote:I'm concerned the fan might dry out the tree too quickly. :?
Marsman has a good point. Don't aim the fan at the tree. Just a little movement in the room is good and very light movement at that. They can dry out with too much movement. I use a ceiling light (overhead) fan.
Keep an eye out for dry soil and mist a couple times a day. Mist only when you will have a few hours before lights out.
If you are not augmenting light from in front of the window (which would be better) you need to move the lamp to within 6 - 7" of the tree. The closer the light the more light for the tree to absorb.
Tell us more about the trees you are interested in buying. Will you get them bare root or in pots?
Yes, you could buy a Maple at this time. Closer to Spring would be better. One of the major concerns about winter temps. is that the roots of the trees subjected to it can freeze. This is one of the main reasons why we 'heel in' trees or give them added protection in the coldest times. My Maples are all dormant now but they are in the garage were they will be a few degrees warmer and out of the wind.

bonsaidude
Cool Member

Is the maple I want, its in a pot and is dormant so I'd figure it wouldn't be that harsh on him.and they said they send one close to that picuture ull be happy. Now to elm I don't keep that fan on him all day only had that cuase my room semmed really hot last night and muggy, I only keep the ceiling fan on at low speed.

bonsaidude
Cool Member

https://www.bonsaiboy.com/catalog/product274.html Should work if not go to site and got to outdoor decd and be the first one for 59 bucks I know it isn't gonna be exact same but it will Be potted and be dormant and I see I just got to water him a lil since he stored a lot for winter but let me know what ya think I called and they said that they'll get it close to picture but ull be happy. And yes I kno he won't have leaves

Rosaelyn

That time it worked. :) I just noticed there is a period at the end of the first link.

That is a good size tree to start with - well-established into a pot, a little bit older, looks like it should have some good branching started. Definitely post some pictures when you receive it. I'm curious as to what the branching and nebari will look like.

It will probably make a fine shohin at it's current size. Just remember for the illusion of a large, old, natural tree, the proportion of a bonsai is 6:1. So for a 12" bonsai you want a trunk that is at least 2" in diameter. For a tree you wish to grow larger, some time in the ground would be ideal.

bonsaidude
Cool Member

cool deff will take some pics and deff gonna go with maple, and shoin might be down my road but that seems really hard to learn just yet I'm just gonna try to keep them alive and pinch and trim nicely trust this was my face when I saw shoin maple :shock: so amazing. Just one last guestion to be safe but watering for dormant maple wont need much obv since he stored some for winter right ? but what would be a method to check him to see if hes thristy during dormancy

Marsman
Green Thumb

I keep a little kabob stick in the soil. You can buy a package of them at the super market for a dollar or two. If I pull it out and it's dry, I water the tree.

KasWear
Cool Member

Marsman wrote:I keep a little kabob stick in the soil. You can buy a package of them at the super market for a dollar or two. If I pull it out and it's dry, I water the tree.
Brilliant, you determined to make me spend, spend, spend .. !! :lol:

bonsaidude
Cool Member

so just curious if this elm was raised tropical and which I think it was if I keep him in till spring put him outside and have a dormant time it wont harsh him ? and come spring hell get good and full leaf growth ? cuase he seems to be a slow grower. Also as of now that I'm givin him nice light and sun pretty constant to ( yes gets a break at night ) givin him water when he needs (mosit) plus I gave him a tad of that maricle grow blue stick thing , broke a little peice of it and went down a tad around him and only dusted it not much either. < --- is this ok ? I was figuring maybe once a week ? is he gonna do better than he was in a green house that dosent provide that much light and care not saying they diddnt care for them either but more one on one ?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

bonsaidude,

Several issues here:
is he gonna do better than he was in a green house that dosent provide that much light and care not saying they diddnt care for them either but more one on one ?
Your tree does not really need much 'one on one' care so that is not really relevant. They can care for a hundred just as easy as ten. In fact, sometimes we have a tendency to fuss about too much and kill our charges with kindness. Sometimes less is more.
and come spring hell get good and full leaf growth ? cuase he seems to be a slow grower.
It should do much better outside, yes. The reason it is not active now is likely due to an adjustment period, less than ideal conditions and the fact that you are just learning how to handle it. You should see some growth soon, but you'll be surprised how much better it will do once you get in real sunlight.
if this elm was raised tropical and which I think it was if I keep him in till spring put him outside and have a dormant time it wont harsh him ?
Once it experiences a full summer, (decreasing day length after midsummer) fall and the early light frosts it will be ready for a dormant period. That does not necessarily mean that you should simply leave it outside unprotected all winter but we can talk about that later.

Norm

bonsaidude
Cool Member

naw ill deff bring him in and stuff wont leave him out but I just diddnt know if the transfer to never being dormant to going dormant might freak him out. you know anything bout that fertalizer guestion ?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

bonsaidude,
naw ill deff bring him in and stuff wont leave him out but I just diddnt know if the transfer to never being dormant to going dormant might freak him out.
Then I'm afraid that I do not understand your question. If you do not intend to leave it outside then it won't experience dormancy. Although this species is quite adaptable, most growers would suggest at least a brief dormancy. There is plenty of time to discuss this later so don't make up your mind just yet.
you know anything bout that fertalizer guestion ?...I gave him a tad of that maricle grow blue stick thing , broke a little peice of it and went down a tad around him and only dusted it not much either. < --- is this ok ?
Not sure that I know what product you used. If it was a little spike that was intended to be inserted into the soil and instead you crushed a small portion and sprinkled it around then I think you will be OK.

Norm

bonsaidude
Cool Member

I ment like I wasent gonna leave him out threw winter and stuff ill store him nicely inside somewhere but I'm going to leave him out and bring him in around thanksgiving was to seem to be about average for connecticut.

djlen
Green Thumb

bonsaidude wrote:I ment like I wasent gonna leave him out threw winter and stuff ill store him nicely inside somewhere but I'm going to leave him out and bring him in around thanksgiving was to seem to be about average for connecticut.
This is a good plan. It will get about 2 1/2 months rest up time.
Another option would be to take it from outside at Thanksgiving and put it into an out-building or garage that is unheated until Christmas. That would protect it for an extra month of rest before bringing it in.

Your tree will not need a lot of fertilization until Spring approaches, so be careful about over doing it. What you mentioned above with the MiracleGro stick sounds OK.

bonsaidude
Cool Member

ive been looking and I cant find anything but what about fertilizer mix % s I used that stick once and its a 6 - 12 - 6 and I saw more nitrogin is better for leaf growth and stuff so I went out and bought a 16 - 4 - 8 mix kinda those slow release balls and rocks and I don't give him alot I understand never to much and I'm a believer in a good dose of music will help a plant also :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

bonsaidude,
djlen wrote:
This is a good plan. It will get about 2 1/2 months rest up time.
Another option would be to take it from outside at Thanksgiving and put it into an out-building or garage that is unheated until Christmas. That would protect it for an extra month of rest before bringing it in.

Your tree will not need a lot of fertilization until Spring approaches, so be careful about over doing it. What you mentioned above with the MiracleGro stick sounds OK.
I like this strategy as well. By Thanksgiving it will just be entering full dormancy, by Christmas or new years it will OK to bring it in if that is the route you want to take or you could continue with a full season of dormancy for the rest of the winter. You don't have to make that decision now though.
bonsaidude wrote:I went out and bought a 16 - 4 - 8 mix kinda those slow release balls and rocks and I don't give him alot I understand never to much
Make sure to read the directions and not apply too frequently. Slow release, ya know.

Norm

bonsaidude
Cool Member

god I love this site time to wrap this thread up thank you all if you have more info ill take it but I felt ive asked to much lol thank you for your patience.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”