bonsaidude
Cool Member

naw ill deff bring him in and stuff wont leave him out but I just diddnt know if the transfer to never being dormant to going dormant might freak him out. you know anything bout that fertalizer guestion ?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

bonsaidude,
naw ill deff bring him in and stuff wont leave him out but I just diddnt know if the transfer to never being dormant to going dormant might freak him out.
Then I'm afraid that I do not understand your question. If you do not intend to leave it outside then it won't experience dormancy. Although this species is quite adaptable, most growers would suggest at least a brief dormancy. There is plenty of time to discuss this later so don't make up your mind just yet.
you know anything bout that fertalizer guestion ?...I gave him a tad of that maricle grow blue stick thing , broke a little peice of it and went down a tad around him and only dusted it not much either. < --- is this ok ?
Not sure that I know what product you used. If it was a little spike that was intended to be inserted into the soil and instead you crushed a small portion and sprinkled it around then I think you will be OK.

Norm

bonsaidude
Cool Member

I ment like I wasent gonna leave him out threw winter and stuff ill store him nicely inside somewhere but I'm going to leave him out and bring him in around thanksgiving was to seem to be about average for connecticut.

djlen
Green Thumb

bonsaidude wrote:I ment like I wasent gonna leave him out threw winter and stuff ill store him nicely inside somewhere but I'm going to leave him out and bring him in around thanksgiving was to seem to be about average for connecticut.
This is a good plan. It will get about 2 1/2 months rest up time.
Another option would be to take it from outside at Thanksgiving and put it into an out-building or garage that is unheated until Christmas. That would protect it for an extra month of rest before bringing it in.

Your tree will not need a lot of fertilization until Spring approaches, so be careful about over doing it. What you mentioned above with the MiracleGro stick sounds OK.

bonsaidude
Cool Member

ive been looking and I cant find anything but what about fertilizer mix % s I used that stick once and its a 6 - 12 - 6 and I saw more nitrogin is better for leaf growth and stuff so I went out and bought a 16 - 4 - 8 mix kinda those slow release balls and rocks and I don't give him alot I understand never to much and I'm a believer in a good dose of music will help a plant also :)

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

bonsaidude,
djlen wrote:
This is a good plan. It will get about 2 1/2 months rest up time.
Another option would be to take it from outside at Thanksgiving and put it into an out-building or garage that is unheated until Christmas. That would protect it for an extra month of rest before bringing it in.

Your tree will not need a lot of fertilization until Spring approaches, so be careful about over doing it. What you mentioned above with the MiracleGro stick sounds OK.
I like this strategy as well. By Thanksgiving it will just be entering full dormancy, by Christmas or new years it will OK to bring it in if that is the route you want to take or you could continue with a full season of dormancy for the rest of the winter. You don't have to make that decision now though.
bonsaidude wrote:I went out and bought a 16 - 4 - 8 mix kinda those slow release balls and rocks and I don't give him alot I understand never to much
Make sure to read the directions and not apply too frequently. Slow release, ya know.

Norm

bonsaidude
Cool Member

god I love this site time to wrap this thread up thank you all if you have more info ill take it but I felt ive asked to much lol thank you for your patience.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”