Prowlgrin

My ficus new growth is brown

Hello, the leaves of my ficus have all dropped, I assumed that this was because I had moved it to a different room in my house as this had happened before, however new growth was very quickly turning brown and has not gotten past the stage of sprouting from the branches. there has been no sign of root rot or bugs, all the branches seem quite dead, I don't know what to do?? :(

JTred
Green Thumb

Not much you can do but wait and hope. You can try the scratch test to see if it is still alive. If it is just keep it at a good temperature and humidity, and remember it won't need watered as much because it has no leaves.

Prowlgrin

ill try that and hope for the best lol :)

Prowlgrin

Hi, my ficus has finally started to grow!
It started growing shoots from the trunk (none of the branches though) about a week ago and hasnt stopped, I was soo happy. I just hope that my other bonsais perk up a bit.
Thanks
Abby

TomM
Greener Thumb

Abby,
Gotta love it when this happens. I had a similar experience recently. In our local club (Utica, NY) a very wise woman has told us that when one of our bonsai 'dies' (or appears dead) don't give up on it for one year, it might just surprise you.
Congrats - give your resurrected bonsai lots of TLC - and keep us posted on its progress.

JTred
Green Thumb

Prowlgrin wrote:Hi, my ficus has finally started to grow!
It started growing shoots from the trunk (none of the branches though) about a week ago and hasnt stopped, I was soo happy. I just hope that my other bonsais perk up a bit.
Thanks
Abby
When ficus experience a defoliation often you'll see backbudding on places where leaves didn't grow before. Some people actually defoliate on purpose to get better ramification (I actually may try this in the summer).

Bonsai Nutcase

I defoliate my ficus at least twice a year and 3 times if I can. Great ramification and smaller leaves.

JTred
Green Thumb

Bonsai Nutcase wrote:I defoliate my ficus at least twice a year and 3 times if I can. Great ramification and smaller leaves.
Twice a year? Wow you must get excellent indoor growth. The growth on my ficus pretty much comes to a standstill in the winter. Are you one of the lucky ones who gets to grow outdoors all year?

Bonsai Nutcase

I'm one of the lucky ones! :oops: Their growth has slowed this winter due to the unusual cold but that was all.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”