Vesper

Why do stores sell Bonsais with rocks glued to the soil?

I was at walmart the other day checking to see what plants they were selling, and I noticed a couple of ficus bonsais and a few others that had no labels except "bonsai" :roll: Anyways I attempted to move aside the top layer of rocks surrounding the bonsai to check what kind of soil they were planted in, but could not because apparently the whole layer of rocks on top are glued together by something. The rocks are literally impossible to remove unless smashed with a hammer or something. They are not only glued together, they are also glued to the side of the pot. Am I missing something here? Exactly how the heck does one check to see if the bonsai needs watering if theres a superglued layer of rocks on top blocking you? I've seen bonsais like this in other stores with the rocks glued to the top. What is the purpose of this? :?:

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Vesper,
Am I missing something here? Exactly how the heck does one check to see if the bonsai needs watering if theres a superglued layer of rocks on top blocking you? I've seen bonsais like this in other stores with the rocks glued to the top. What is the purpose of this?
No, you are not missing anything, this practice is not conducive to the long term health of the tree. The problem is that neither the wholesaler nor the retailer has any interest in the long term health of the tree. :twisted:

This is a tactic that allows the grower/wholesaler to pot material up, secure it in place and immediately ship it out. This is not good horticultural practice. The plants really should be allowed a period of recovery in order to establish themselves in the new pots. This, unfortunately, goes against the business maxim that 'time is money'

If you should ever purchase such a plant the first order of business would be to remove the glued-in-place top dressing as it no longer serves any purpose and, as you noted, it actually impedes the proper care of the tree.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”