mosk1640
Cool Member

Black Olive help

Hey guys, I recently purchased a 7 year old Black Olive Bonsai that I intend for my office. I have growth lamps and florescent clip on lamps that I can shine on it as well as a northerly facing window that will offer slight indirect natural light.

Will that lighting be enough??? How much should I water? Etc...Any special needs for Black Olives???

Thanks so much!!!

Matt :lol:

djlen
Green Thumb

I have no personal experience with this tree but I intend to get one in the near future and have done some research on it.
The one aspect of it's cultivation that I find warnings about in almost every 'how to care for' page is to go light with the root pruning when re-potting.
It does not like heavy root pruning.
As to lighting, if those 'clip on' lights are for screw-ins and you buy a couple of 100w (equivalent) Compact Fluorescents, that should be plenty of light for your tree. You don't need any particular color rating (K rating) or special 'gro-lights' for your it. The lower the K rating the more yellow the lighting. The higher the K rating the more white the lighting. It's up to your personal taste. The tree won't care either way. :)
Her is a fairly complete page for reference:
https://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/bucida.html

Hope this helps and good luck with your tree :!:

mosk1640
Cool Member

Thank you...so in a nutshell, for any bonsai, basic high lumen output florescent bulbs are sufficient?

djlen
Green Thumb

mosk1640 wrote:Thank you...so in a nutshell, for any bonsai, basic high lumen output florescent bulbs are sufficient?
That is correct.
If you have 'white' tubes in your office lighting you would probably be happier with something in the 6300K range and up than something in the 2300K range. The lighting would better match what you've got.
So called 'Gro-lights', IME are nothing more than a way to squeeze extra money out of the public.
Fluorescents will lose power over time but the difference is minute over a year. You could replace them yearly or every two years if you'd like. My thought is that if you have two CF fixtures over that plant it is good for a long time. Anywhere from 6" to 12 - 18" MAX away from the plant is good.
6 - 8" is better.
Keep in mind that this lighting will be pushing the tree to grow and therefore use nutrients and you need to be mindful of the feeding regimen.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Matt,

A while back a few of us, myself included, gave these a go. If I recall correctly we all killed them. I later learned about their dislike of having their roots disturbed. We should all take that as a lesson, do your research first!

Also, as I believe Len has pointed out, this is one of the plants that seems like it is going to difficult for me so I think it will be better if I concentrate on things that are more suited to my climate.

Norm

mosk1640
Cool Member

OK...I'm figuring with enough light (as they are native to southern florida) and adequate watering it should be fine. (hopefully!)

djlen
Green Thumb

I think it will do just fine. Keep an eye on it and let us know how it's going for you. If you have any questions we are always willing to help where we can.

mosk1640
Cool Member

Thanks so much everyone!

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”