Andy D

Bonsai seeds from a package

I planted some bonsai seeds a bout 2 weeks ago and am keeping them in a mini covered heated terrarium. I keep each cell moist. How long should it take them to sprout?

djlen
Green Thumb

This will vary by the type of tree. There is no way to tell without knowing the trees you're talking about.
Also, have you considered that some seeds need stratification in order to germinate?

Andy D

My seeds are japanese maples, japanese red maples, japanese white pines, and trident maples. I soaked them in water as the instructions indicated to soften the hard outer shell. I have read that stratification increases chances of germination, but that store-bought seeds are still reliable, so I didn't stratify them. So, what do you think?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Andy,

Japanese Maples definitely need to be stratified. Also, I have had very spotty germination with purchased seeds. Better results were obtained by collecting seeds myself and never allowing them to actually dry.

I have never grown White Pines but my reference material (Dirr & Heuser) calls for a cold stratification of 3 months after a 2-3 month warm period.

Norm

Marsman
Green Thumb

Andy, you have way more patience than I do.

And when I hear the term 'bonsai seeds', I think of these:

[img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Fun%20Stuff/20091112-donutseeds.jpg[/img]

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”