GardenerX

Selecting A Rock For ROOT OVER ROCK

Hello Everyone,

ok I have 2 rocks selected for my root over rock project I just need to know witch is best for my tree here's a pic of the tree and the rocks:

[img]https://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii365/dragondude_2009/001-17.jpg[/img]

Victrinia Ridgeway

Unfortunately it's never as simple as picking a rock (unless it's unusually good). It's generally best to have a variety of rocks available. There should be some level of depth which will be available to be in the pot. The one on the right might work, as it's a little bigger... but the one on the left is not big enough. You have to account for future growth of the tree.

Are you familiar with the root system of that particular juniper?

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

GardenerX

accualy no I'm not familure with it, I just got this tree for Christmas so should I wait after I repot it then after about a year try it......

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

GardenerX wrote:accualy no I'm not familure with it, I just got this tree for Christmas so should I wait after I repot it then after about a year try it......
I would. You have no clue what the root system looks like right now. When you repot, you can determine where the roots are, and if it's feasible right now. Most start with a tree from a traing pot which allows un-inhibitied growth, that way there's long strong roots. I've even seen one person grow they're tree for a year in a traing pot with a small clay pot under the tree forcing the roots to grow out and down over the tiny pot(pretty sure I saw that here). Once you know you've got strong long roots, you can root over rock. Remember, once it's done, you'll have what looks to be a good 5'' of exposed roots with the rock on the right, so you'll need roots alot longer than that when you finally expose the rock. A tree in already in a bonsai pot like yours, doesn't have a root system like that.

I'm by no means an expert, infact a beginner in every sense of the word, but I have a good feeling your tree isn't ready this year.

FLBonsai
Cool Member

GardenerX,

You should first decide how thick you want the trunk of your tree. If you want a larder trunk plant it in the ground or a larger pot (not large enough where water can collect unabsorbed by the roots. With this in mind I personally would repot the juniper with the two pot system for root over rock. This will allow you develop nice radial roots that will naturally attach themselves to the rock. Also using the two pot technique you can thicken the trunk while training it for root over rock.

Best of luck!

GardenerX

Thx guys,

I have took all this into consideration and I haven't realy decided yet about the thickness of the trunk I guess I want it about Medium....

I have decided to wait untill Spring 2011 to try this Technique so I can get more familure with the root system, is it possable to plant it in a Tupaware Bowl type thing so I can watch the roots as they grow out if no I'm not worried about it I was just curious, also I spoke with the lady I got it from she told me its been in this pot since a seedling and its a lilttle over 3 years old now......

THX GUYS..... :wink:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't grow bonsai, but I've been reading a lot about them lately. One thing I have seen a number of different places is that a general guideline of plant height to trunk ratio is 6:1. So if you want your finished tree to be 12" tall, that means you are looking for a trunk diameter of 2".

Here's one little article that gives that guideline and shows some process how it is achieved:

https://www.bonsai4me.com/AdvTech/ATdevelopingtrunksforbonsai.htm

Obviously not a rule, just a general guideline, something to start your thinking. I know a lot of the "mallsai" have a lot less trunk diameter than that.

GardenerX

thx rainbow,

this will help alot with trying to decide how thick I want the trunk......

GardenerX

oh yea almost forgot,

FL what is the 2 pot Technique if you have a site that states what it is or means I would love to see because I couldn't find anything on it, I think I was looking for the wrong thing maybe idk.....

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

GardenerX,

Here is the link that a0c8c mentioned.
I've even seen one person grow they're tree for a year in a traing pot with a small clay pot under the tree forcing the roots to grow out and down over the tiny pot(pretty sure I saw that here).
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18867

In this case both pots were relatively small as my plant was just a starter. You can, of course, scale the whole thing up. If you decide to go this way I think I would plan on at least two seasons to allow time for the roots to elongate and the trunk to thicken a little. The idea is to encourage some length in the roots before you marry the tree to the rock.

Norm

GardenerX

thx Norm,

so the first thing I need to do is repot it in a somewhat bigger pot I have one in mind it's a bit bigger I'll post a pic of them next to each other in a bit......

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I'm not surprised it was a post from you Gnome. In fact, watching your threads is what's making me want a bonsai tree so bad. I wanna join in on all the fun. I need to get a good tree this spring and start training it so I can root over rock in a few years.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”