starfire
Newly Registered

Zanthoxylum and Carmona

I have just bought two great trees,,,,,,,,I am determined to keep them alive,,,,,,,,,any tips anyone??

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

starfire,

Welcome to the Helpful Gardener. I don't grow either of the species you mentioned but there is some information here for the Carmona (Fukien Tea) If you use the search function you should easily find some past discussions. From what I gather they do not like to be kept soggy and should be allowed to approach dryness before watering. Here is a care sheet that might help a little.
https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Carmona.html

As for the other, (Chinese Pepper) although I see them offered for sale as bonsai on the net, I have yet to find much information on their care. They also are to be found here via the search function but I'm afraid you will find most threads are primarily about identifying them for new growers.

Does anyone here have any tips about Chinese Peppers?

Norm

starfire
Newly Registered

Thanks very much for the info you sent,,,,caught me just in time on best watering regime!! What does surprise me is, when you buy these sort of trees from a bog-standard garden center there seems to be no particular attention or care given to them,,,,yet they seem to thrive,,,,I wonder why.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

starfire,
Thanks very much for the info you sent
You're welcome, sorry I could not be more helpful.
What does surprise me is, when you buy these sort of trees from a bog-standard garden center there seems to be no particular attention or care given to them,,,,yet they seem to thrive,,,,I wonder why.
Two thoughts come to mind. First, often plants are 'loved to death' Well meaning growers can be so concerned that they dote over their plants, watering excessively, pruning too much/too soon, moving them around and generally fussing too much. Sometimes a regimen of benign neglect is more appropriate.

Second, I suspect that the plants do not stay at the retailers very long, at least I would not want them to hang around too long. It's in the interest of the retailer to get them out as quickly as possible.

Norm

P.S. Here's another link in case you have not yet searched the forum.
https://www.bonsaihunk.us/info/FukienTea.html

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”