carnivoregrower
Newly Registered

Dehydrated Sequoia Tree

Hi everyone id really appreciate it if someone could help me with this :-)

I've been looking after a bonsai Sequoia giganteum for a relative but apparently not doing a very good job, I recently noticed the trees soil was bone dry in the middle and all of its foliage was dead, but still green.

Ive gotten rid of what I think is most of the dead growth, I broke the branches down gradually with my fingers until I reached supple wood again and then trimmed it back slightly from there with some pruning shears.

I've soaked the tree in water for a few hours and made sure so be thoroughly watering it now. I know these should be outside for the winter but I've brought it inside and put it under a 125W Blue Envirolite and fertilised the soil, using 1/2 the manufacturers recommended dilutin (Chempak No eight), is there anything else I can do to try adn save this tree.

Its been under the light and kept well watered for over a week nw but I'm not seeing any signs f new growth even though from what I can tell the wood that is left seems not to be dead, as its still supple and doesnt break off like the branches I removed to begin with did.

Thanks in advance.

Victrinia Ridgeway

I don't have Sierra Redwoods, but I do have Coast Redwoods... and if it acts similarly, what you'll find is that it will likely break back with new shoots around existing branches. This is assuming it decides to live, but it can even start sprouting all around the base of the trunk area, or even sucker new trees in the pot from roots that survived.

What area do you live in? If you live somewhere where the tree has been very cold for a while, you'll have achieved required dormancy all ready. So if you keep it in the house, try and keep it away from the warmest parts of the house, give it lots of light, put a humidity tray under it and mist regularly (at least twice a day).

Do not feed distressed trees.... and don't cut off any more foliage. If it's going to die back, let it. Every cut becomes a wound the tree has to heal.

Sadly it will take years for the tree to fully recover, as all the structure that has been lost would need to be regrown. Can you take a photo of it?

Good luck...

Victrinia

carnivoregrower
Newly Registered

Hi, thanks for replying, here are a couple of photos I've taken
[img]https://www.cheapcontactlensesuk.co.uk/images/wide.jpg[/img]
[img]https://www.cheapcontactlensesuk.co.uk/images/close.jpg[/img]

the tree is about 3 years old, grown from seed. As you can see he doesnt have any foliage left at all :( it was all dead unfortunately and literally brushed off.

The two branches that are left are the only ones which didnt seem to be dead, they are still strong and supple, the rest pretty much fell of when I put pressure on them.

I'm in the UK just north of London, while the tree was outside it was well above freezing but since ive brought it indoors we've had a lot of snow and it is lying thick outside at the moment. Thanks for your help.

Victrinia Ridgeway

hmmmm.... sadly, it will be highly unlikely for a tree that young to break back... but don't give up on it... and since there is no foliage at all don't worry about misting it. If it does anything, it'll take weeks. Just keep the soil miost, but not wet, and under that light... that's about all you can do.

Be patient. If you notice that the bark on those branches is puckering, it's done.

Good luck...

Victrinia

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”