maveriiick

Japanese Maple Trunk Chop

I am planning to trunk chop some nursery stock in the spring. When is the best month to do so if I'm in Toronto? Also with a trunk chop of a JM do you need to leave one branch with leaves attached? Lastly, do you need to use cut paste on the trunk after it has been cut?

FLBonsai
Cool Member

maveriiick,

Personally I would trunk chop (by this I assume you mean drastically shortening the tree) prior to it coming out of dormancy as it will be less stressful for the tree. I don't know when your seasons are but I would guesstimate chopping it about a week before it would normally start forming new spring buds. Cut paste should be used on any major cut if available. The only exception is if you would want to jin or carve any of that particular section :]

Hope you get some nice material from this!

Victrinia Ridgeway

My first questions would be, do you already have a new leader growing or are you hoping to sprout more branches?

As with any trunk chop, leave more wood than where you want it to be in the end. Trees sometimes decide to die back further down than where you cut them... so depending on your answer to my question... I can't advise what I would do with it.

As to cut paste... the jury is definitely out on that. I don't use it at all. Cut paste can cause as many problems as it potentially prevents. So it's use is totally a personal thing.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”