djlen
Green Thumb

Are the leaves sticky or do they have a sticky solution on them?
What you describe sounds like Aphids but without seeing them it's hard to diagnose.
When stressed for many reasons one can see yellowing in the leaves, then browning and falling of them.
I have not seen a picture of the soil and cannot tell if it's well drained or not. In other words, is it porous or dense. Porous is what it should be and one can tell if it is and drains well by whether the water stays on the surface and is slow to run through or not.
When your water it, it should immediately disappear into the soil and then run out the bottom holes. I'd like you to test this by watering it and if it soaks it up rather than pooling, give it a good soaking and let the water run out the bottom. If you see pooling you've go very dense soil.
Check the specks you mention and see if there is any stickiness on the leaves. Fukiens naturally have some white dots on the leaves but elongated white things indicate the possible presence of Aphid skeltons.
Please reply.

Dazzo
Newly Registered

The soil is porous as the water goes straight through without hanging on top of the soil. Runs through the hole at the bottom of the pot. The leaves are not sticky to touch just bone dry, which is why I thought the tree was dead.

There does seem to be a light brown coloured fur on the tree, at the intersections of the branches. Is this normal for this tree?

Will get pictures of the leaves and tree this afternoon. May have to take it home but not sure as it's freezing outside haha -10 .....

Darren

maveriiick

The leaves are likely dead, but new ones can regrow as long at the tree is well cared for. I've had a few aphid infestations in the past and I normally take the tree to the shower and spray room-temperatured water at the foliage to remove them. The high pressure removes them easily. If the soil is moist before I do this, I cover the soil with a plastic bag to avoid over watering (spray water reaching the soil).

These trees need to regularly and very carefully checked for pests, aphids and mealy bugs in my experience absolutely love Fukien Trees. I have a cheap 6X magnifier I use to skim over leaf areas, especially when a clump of the yellow leaves are detected, which could be caused by aphids.

The light brown coloured fur at the intersections of the branches is normal.

Andy D

Also make sure that you keep the fukien tea in a humid area (if possible) where it can get good sun. I keep mine in a large bathroom where the steam from the shower creates great humidity and it gets nice morning sun. And you should never ever ever let its environment get in the 50's-ever.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”