maveriiick

Foliar Spray - Ferrous Sulphate

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows how to prepare a spray solution for ferrous sulphate in water to use as a foliar spray fro my bonsai? I think its about 1/8th to 1/4 of a teaspoon per litre or per gallon, but not completely sure.

Thanx

Marsman
Green Thumb

Only thing I could find was related to Hawaiian pineapple plantations:
Iron has been sprayed on foliage since about 1916 to relieve chlorosis. The first of such research work was carried out with chlorotic pineapples growing on highly alkaline soils in Hawaii. Periodic sprays of five percent ferrous sulfate are now common practice on Hawaiian pineapple plantations. The biggest obstacle to this practice is the fact that, even though the iron moves readily into the leaves, it is translocated very slowly. As a result, after spraying with ferrous sulfate, chlorotic spots may still be in evidence in places which did not receive some of the iron spray. Iron chelates have also been successfully used as a spray.
[url=https://www.florahydroponics.com/foliarnutrition.aspx]Link to article here.[/url]

maveriiick

The bonsai nursery owner where I live told me that she uses this during the winter to keep her tree in prime shape. She remarked that pH was very important for bonsai trees (or plants in general) as the pH determined whether fertilizer would be absorbed or not. I agreed with this as I've noted marked improvements with my plants since adding 1 teaspoon of vinegar to 1 litre of water for some time now, but her emphasis on foliar spraying with ferrous sulphate seemed interesting.

I had some problems with 2 Sageretias previously where both died and this appeared to be a big factor as I have 3 new Sageretias and they are all doing VERY well with slightly acidic watering in addition to slow release organic fertilizer.

I guess I want the ideal recipe for ferrous sulphate spray so that I do not damage my little trees.

Victrinia Ridgeway

I add iron when I am feeding. I make "soup"... miracle grow, iron chalates, and super thrive. While some people may doubt the efficacy of super thrive... I have never had any ill effects, and I can say when fed soup... my trees grow very well and with healthy green foliage. I would feed via the soil vs. foliar applications if you want to add iron to the tree's regimen.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

maveriiick

Victrinia Ridgeway wrote:I add iron when I am feeding. I make "soup"... miracle grow, iron chalates, and super thrive. While some people may doubt the efficacy of super thrive... I have never had any ill effects, and I can say when fed soup... my trees grow very well and with healthy green foliage. I would feed via the soil vs. foliar applications if you want to add iron to the tree's regimen.

Kindest regards,

Victrinia
May I ask what your "soup" recipe is to get a perspective?

Victrinia Ridgeway

I have about a 2 gallon sprayer, so it's one tablespoon of miracle grow, to half tablespoon of iron, and then about 7-10 drops of Super Thrive. Mixed very well for a couple minutes.

maveriiick

Victrinia Ridgeway wrote:I have about a 2 gallon sprayer, so it's one tablespoon of miracle grow, to half tablespoon of iron, and then about 7-10 drops of Super Thrive. Mixed very well for a couple minutes.
Thanks again, may I ask what the NPK ratio of the Miracle Grow is?

Victrinia Ridgeway

Me thinks tis 24-8-16... :)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”