Tim808
Newly Registered

Is my tree dead?

Hello everyone,

I was bought a Bonzai tree about a year ago as a present. I had no previous interest in Bonzai but have become attatched to the little fella now. Over the last few weeks it has shed all but one of it's leave, and even that one looks on the way out. I think its a Chinese Elm which I thought were evergreen hence my concern.

I water it about 2 times a week and have recently started to soak it once a week after a friend said this might help. I'm slightly worried I Might not have been giving it the right type of food - it came with pellets to put in the soil around the base of the tree but having looked at various sites I've noticed the most common from of food is the liquid variety? Can any confirm whether my tree is dead and hopefully if it isn't, if there's any way to get it back to full strength?

Thanks is advance

Tim
[img]https://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab188/roley808/004.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab188/roley808/007.jpg[/img][/img]

djlen
Green Thumb

It may just have gone into dormancy. These trees will do this with the shortening of the daylight.
Where were you keeping it? Indoor or out?

Tim808
Newly Registered

Cheers for the reply Len,

I keep it on a window ledge inside, so it gets plenty of daylight. I hope it is just dormant but I thought because it was an evergreen that this wouldn't happen - is this not the case? Is there anything I should be doing while it is dormant, and will it stay this way until spring?

Tim

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Elm trees including Chinese Elm are deciduous NOT evergreen.

Evergreen trees do not drop their leaves (often needles, though there are lots of broadleaf evergreens also), but deciduous trees like elms do.

It will stay dormant until spring. It is generally suggested that they don't do well as indoor trees and need a period of cold dormancy. Use the Search The Forum feature above, type in Chinese elm and then put Bonsai in the Forum to search. You will find a ton of information already here about them.

Since your tree has been indoors until now, you don't want to stick it directly out doors, since it hasn't hardened off. But if you have a less heated spot to put it in you might try that and maybe eventually transition it to a garage or shed or some kind of protected but not heated area.

djlen
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Elm trees including Chinese Elm are deciduous NOT evergreen.

Evergreen trees do not drop their leaves (often needles, though there are lots of broadleaf evergreens also), but deciduous trees like elms do.

It will stay dormant until spring. It is generally suggested that they don't do well as indoor trees and need a period of cold dormancy. Use the Search The Forum feature above, type in Chinese elm and then put Bonsai in the Forum to search. You will find a ton of information already here about them.

Since your tree has been indoors until now, you don't want to stick it directly out doors, since it hasn't hardened off. But if you have a less heated spot to put it in you might try that and maybe eventually transition it to a garage or shed or some kind of protected but not heated area.
Spot on information and advice Tim. I would only add that it will require no nutrients and just enough water to keep it's roots just moist over the dormancy period.
Trees don't react only to the cold of fall. More so to the sun being lower in the sky and the shorter days. That's probably the case with yours.

moulman
Cool Member

Just one thing, fellas. It has been inside - it is not likely that it has been subjected to cold temps, and that is what prompts dormancy. So I think it is not dormant, but very sick.

Scratch the bark with your fingernail (just slightly). If it is green underneath the coarse bark, then it still has a chance.

Do that, then come back here.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Moulman, did you read the post right above yours? DJLen is right. Deciduous trees are triggered into dropping their leaves by the hours of daylight, not by the temperatures. Deciduous trees kept indoors by a window will drop their leaves based on the lack of light, regardless of the temperature.

I'm not as sure, but I believe most deciduous trees even if you try to prevent dormancy by maintaining both temperature and light level, will eventually drop their leaves anyway, because the plant becomes less able to replenish the chlorophyll in the leaves.

It is programmed to drop the leaves and replace them!

moulman
Cool Member

Deciduous trees are triggered into dropping their leaves by the hours of daylight, not by the temperatures

No, not at all. That is why you can keep a tree from going dormant, like this elm. It's done all the time.
Many chinese elms don't even lose their leaves when they do go dormant.

I have one right now that still has all it's leaves and it is in full dormancy outside.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Moulman, did you read the post right above yours? DJLen is right. Deciduous trees are triggered into dropping their leaves by the hours of daylight, not by the temperatures.
No, not at all. That is why you can keep a tree from going dormant, like this elm. It's done all the time.
Many chinese elms don't even lose their leaves when they do go dormant. I have one right now that still has all it's leaves and it is in full dormancy outside.
It has always been my understanding that shortening day lengths after the summer solstice was the primary trigger in inducing dormancy in temperate trees, although temperature does play a role as well.

The thing about Chinese Elms though is that they have a very wide distribution range in nature and are considered sub-tropical. In milder areas this species does not have the same dormancy requirements as a true temperate tree. That's why so many do grow Chinese Elms indoors.

Brent Walston writes:
Subtropicals such as Chinese elms, Ulmus parvifolia, have little if any dormancy requirements. In colder areas they drop their leaves, go dormant and act like deciduous trees. In milder, non freezing environments, they are evergreen and exhibit continuous growth except for occasional 'quiescence'.
And:
Most subtropical plants that do not have strict dormancy requirements, still seem to perform better if they have a brief cold dormant period that allows them to lose their foliage. Both Chinese elm and Pomegranate, Punica granatum, fall into this category.
https://www.evergreengardenworks.com/dormancy.htm

Many feel that at least a brief dormancy is the way to go with this species. I usually handle mine as temperate trees, allowing a full dormancy. Last winter though I tried the short dormancy often suggested and it worked beautifully. The tree was allowed to go dormant outside for a few weeks before being brought back inside to leaf out. The best of both worlds.

I'm not so sure that dormancy is the issue with this tree. I get the impression that cultural issues are at fault. Low light levels even on a windowsill (unless it is a south facing window with excellent exposure) is more likely the culprit. I also wonder what the soil is like and what is that covering on the soil, Moss or what?

Norm

Victrinia Ridgeway

One good thing is that the branchlets do not look like they are puckered at all... which is a sure sign of death. I'm fairly certain the scratch test will come back as green... in which case the tree is just taking a much deserved nap. :wink:

It is possible to force a response from the tree by putting it under many hours of grow light per day. Keep the soil moist and the humidity up around it if you do... but patience is as good an idea as any, as the forcing of an elm at this point will not result in particularly attractive growth.

If the scratch test is good... I'd just wait. :)

Kindest regards,

Victrinia

FLBonsai
Cool Member

moulman wrote:Deciduous trees are triggered into dropping their leaves by the hours of daylight, not by the temperatures

Many chinese elms don't even lose their leaves when they do go dormant.

I have one right now that still has all it's leaves and it is in full dormancy outside.
Well said, I am currently growing a few Chinese elms that have not only kept their leaves but are continuing to grow. If you know how to treat your plants properly you can achieve year round growth in a tropical environment.

Temperature, the amount of sunlight, the different spectrum of the sunlight and several other factors all contribute to sending a deciduous plant into dormancy.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”