Manix5

Chinese Elm Leaf Size - How to get minature size leaves?

Hi, I have a Chinese Elm Bonsai that I ordered on EBay about a year ago. The tree was shipped from California and I was told it is 10-12 years old. I live in Indianapolis, IN and I kept the tree indoors during the winter and it did fine in the window of my bedroom. When the weather started warming up I repotted the tree and put it on my back porch. The tree really seemed to enjoy the sunny weather. Around the beginning of October the tree started losing its leaves and I brought it inside when the temperature got down below 40. I put the tree back in my bedroom window and it continued to lose its leaves. The tree then started to sprout and grow new leaves as it adapted to the warmer indoor temperature. The tree appears to be very healthy and needs a trim.

My question is about the size of leaves the Chinese Elm now has. The new growth is much larger than the miniature leaves that it came to me with. I would say the leaves are 2-3 times the size of the original leaves. What do I need to do to get the miniature leaves back? This is my first tree so suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

Here are a before and after picture:

Before:
[img]https://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/Manix5/IMG_0047.jpg[/img]

After:
[img]https://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y216/Manix5/IMG_0161.jpg[/img][/img]

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Manix5,

Hello and welcome to the forum. The lanky growth and larger leaves are likely in response to inadequate levels of light while the new leaves were forming. If you are serious about trying to keep this inside the tree will do much better if you provide some supplemental lighting. Some form of fluorescent fixture will really help.

I prefer to manage mine as outdoor trees. I keep them in an unheated garage where they remain until spring. In this location they are cold enough to maintain dormancy but sheltered from the worst of the winter weather.

What you have done can work but I feel the dormancy period was rather short. Next year I think I would allow a longer dormancy, at least until Christmas. But the real key to your success now will be lighting.

Norm

Marsman
Green Thumb

I, too, keep mine outdoors during the winter. In fact, mine is covered with snow right now. Let it go dormant and let the leaves drop off. It needs the rest.

djlen
Green Thumb

The best of both worlds, and I originally heard about doing this from Norm.
Leave your tree outside in the fall and let the leaves fall. Put it into the garage or shed to shelter it but let it feel the cold and go completely dormant.
Leave it out there through January and then bring it into the house to bud out for an 'early spring'.
These trees can be grown successfully indoors, but all the people I've spoken with have been training like that for 2 or 3 years. Nothing long term and I'm kinda from the old school. I believe a deciduous tree needs a rest period of it will wear itself out over time.
Norm's suggestion about more light is very important. When inside, especially when the sun is lower in the sky during winter, it needs supplemental light in order to grow well.
Light it up with one (or two would be better) Compact Fluorescent screw in bulbs. The ones you use in the house lamps work well, but in this case put the bulb(s) in a fixture that will direct the light right on the tree.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”