josh1812@live.com

A slight Problem

I bought a another bonsai a black olive for 30 dollars wonderful
nearly finished bonsai but it has a flaw along the trunk there seems to be 2 or 3 bar branches how can I go about fixing it?

djlen
Green Thumb

Can you send us a picture or two. It's a little difficult without seeing the
problem.

josh1812@live.com

Here;s a picture I did some very minor pruning and a little branch shortening here it is and how should I go about fixing the bar branch and the swell in the nebari? One idea was to run a shari between the bar branches to minimize the swelling.

Notice the bar branch on the second level of branches.
[img]https://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Nero1997/20091127_6.jpg[/img]

And the root bulge

[img]https://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Nero1997/20091127_11-1.jpg[/img]

To this the root bulge will be thread grafted with a branch allowed to thicken and then made a jin.

[img]https://i834.photobucket.com/albums/zz267/Nero1997/20091127_6-1.jpg[/img]

Any other suggestions? And sorry for my horrible photo editing skills.

josh1812@live.com

NO POSTS YET :roll:

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Josh,
how should I go about fixing the bar branch and the swell in the nebari? One idea was to run a shari between the bar branches to minimize the swelling.
I'm not sure I understand the question. I don't see any reverse taper yet which is one one of the main problems with allowing bar branches to remain too long.

The solution is to remove the unwanted branches. But wait, allowing branches, and the foliage they carry, to remain is what will build your trunk. I guess what it comes down to is do you intend to begin refinement or is the tree still in the growing out stage? I suspect the latter.

If you intend to begin to refine it then go ahead and do the pruning. Note that I am not necessarily suggesting you prune it today but at the correct season. If, on the other hand, you want to develop the trunk more, allow the foliage to remain as long as there is no danger of reverse taper.

Perhaps the knot at the roots can be pruned/carved away. Be cautious though, I tried one of these once and killed it pretty quickly. Evidently this species dislikes having their roots disturbed. Then again, my climate is not really ideal for this species. I'll likely not try it again.

I see in another thread that Miami Tropical Bonsai is your neighbor. If I were you I would have a friendly conversation with someone there. I'm assuming that you bought the tree there and that they would be happy to give you some tips.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”