Carlos..
Newly Registered

Leaves dropping on Japanese Holly

Recently I was given a Japanese Holly Bonsai by my grand parents.

On the label for basic tree care it says keep away from frosts ect so it says you can keep it indoors through the Winter months. The only problem is other than need watering pretty much twice a day because the soil dries out so quickly. The tree has started to drop its leaves, maybe the tree is to hot? I would put it outside as we are not getting any frosts yet here in Cambridge (UK) but I am not sure.

Another question, if I was to put the tree outside would the tree need to be under shelter to stop it getting over watered by the weather?

Karl

Marsman
Green Thumb

Watering twice a day?!? :o

I think you are over-watering your plant and drowning it. Back off the water to every other day or more. Stick you finger in the soil to test it for dampness.

Carlos..
Newly Registered

But the soil goes so dry that there is no moister left in it

Carlos..
Newly Registered

A response will be much appreciated :) my tree is now outdoors and has lost all its leaves, plus it has been in torrential rain but I don't know what else to do with it.

Marsman
Green Thumb

Other than letting it dry out a bit, I got nothin'.

GardenerX

Hello,

I'm not familar with this species but all my trees I keep inside next to my window and I have a Flourescent Light, I water when the soil is dry witch is about once every 2-3 days and mine seem to be very healthy, no drooping leaves no leaves falling off nothing like that.... Also you have to remember eve thought the soil is dry o top it might not be underneith....

I hope this helps......

Carlos..
Newly Registered

Thanks for the information :) I am going to keep it in a friends portch so hopefully the frost will not get it as well as being cool and protected from the heavy rain. Maybe the leaves will start to come back

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”