norfolkhammer
Newly Registered

chinese elm dying

Hi everyone - new to the forum and would gladly appreciate some advice from experienced bonsai owners. I have a nice Chinese elm that I have had for about 2 years now - I have always kept it indoors in the UK. In the last 6 months it started to really struggle to keep its foliage. Initialy there was plenty of new growth - but the leaves never really got dark in colour and fell off before they settled in - It was kept in a sunny window. At the end of the summer I assumed that the sunshine was too much for it and then moved it to a cooler window in the house with less light. Since then it has lost all of its leaves!!!! After extensive research on the internet I decided that it may be the quality of the soil and possible root rot. On the advice of the webite bonsai4me I repotted it in a non organic soil and trimmed the roots - I know its not the ideal time to do this but I felt I had to take some action. I also trimmed back some of the dead branches. There is still no signs of fresh growth although if I scratch the bark it is still green in places. Is the tree dying ? has gone dormant till the spring ? and more importantly is there anything I can do to ensure that it survives- not even sure about the watering requirements now that it is showing no growth at all - Any advice would be truely appreciated - thanks matt

djlen
Green Thumb

norfolkhammer - I'm going to give you my opinion here. Others may agree or dis-agree but I believe your tree is not meant to be an indoor tree, 24/7/365.
It is basically a deciduous tree that needs a period of dormancy yearly or it will eventually wear itself out over time. Your tree is probably tired, needs a rest and is going dormant, especially due to the fact that you've located it were it is getting less light than previously. It's reacting to the season change and a shorter photo-period. This is normal.
You did not pick an optimum time to re-pot and in it's current state this could prove detrimental to it's overall wellbeing.
Have you been fertilizing it as you water since you've had it?
Where do you live or better yet, what is the average temp. in your area at this time?
If it was mine I would leave it alone, let it drop it's leaves and put it into a spot to allow it 3 or 4 months rest. Where you put it will depend on the answer to how cold your area is currently. You cannot take it out of the house and put it into a cold (30°) environment. It needs to, what we call "harden off"....to become used to the season's change to colder temperatures over time.

norfolkhammer
Newly Registered

Hi thanks for the fast reply! I have fertilised from time to time since having the bonsai- Not recently though as I have read that this is not helpful to a unhealthy tree.The current average temps are around 40- I think - we use celcuis - How often should it be watered in its current state and should it be left where it is then - or risked putting outside - we regularly go to zero temps very soon. I think you definately right with regards to putting it outside in the long run. Also seeing as there are no leaves or growth at all - do you think it is just dormant or actually dying now? thanks again

djlen
Green Thumb

Hi Matt -
I just saw your similar post on another forum....lol.
OK, do you have a garage, shed or unheated room that you can put it into?
As I mentioned previously it needs coolness but not freezing cold, at least not immediately. This is especially true since it's been inside for 2 years.
It needs to go dormant in cooler weather and rest..........but gradually.
An unheated room would be best, then an unheated garage or shed to gradually let it acclimate to cold. Once it does acclimate it would be fine into the teens (F), but I'd keep it sheltered but unheated this winter.
Do not fertilize the plant. It's need for water becomes very much less when over wintering. Just so long as it doesn't dry out it will be fine.
I'm not saying the tree is not dying. You didn't do it any favors by re-potting at this time in it's present state. But these are pretty resilient little trees so I'd think if might just be OK.
Let us know what kind of environment you have available for it.
I'm sorry about the temp. issue. I'm not good with celsius and you're apparently not good with Fahrenheit.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”