maveriiick

Airlayer to Trunk Chop

I will be airlayering a Japanese Maple in the Spring with the intention of chopping if from the trunk after the root ball has developed sufficiently. How long should it take for the root ball to develop in the air layer and what is the best tool to separate the two sections?

I'm also thinking of doing a trunk chop/airlayer to a ficus and wanted to know if there is an ideal time for this and what precautionary measures if any are needed? And tool for separation?

Thanx

Marsman
Green Thumb

A healthy maple should take about 3-4 months.

In the link below, the guy let it sit for a year.

https://www.bonsaiartists.co.uk/Articles.aspx?article=93&theme=archive

maveriiick

What month in the new years should I commence airlayer my Japanese maples? I'm in Toronto.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

maveriiick,

I have always done layers after the new leaves have emerged and hardened off a bit. I prefer to use a saw to remove the layer, loppers might be OK too if the trunk is not too thick.

Norm

maveriiick

Gnome wrote:maveriiick,

I have always done layers after the new leaves have emerged and hardened off a bit. I prefer to use a saw to remove the layer, loppers might be OK too if the trunk is not too thick.

Norm
What kind of timeline am I looking at? what months to begin most likely and when to anticipate separation of upper layer?

maveriiick

maveriiick wrote:
Gnome wrote:maveriiick,

Norm
What kind of timeline am I looking at? what months to begin most likely and when to anticipate separation of upper layer?
Bump on previous query and:

What is the best tool for trunk chop? A Saw? What kind and is there anything I should be looking for in particular? Any recommends on brand/make?
Thanks

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

maveriiick,
What kind of timeline am I looking at? what months to begin most likely
As I mentioned previously, after the leaves are well formed is when I do mine, but don't wait too long. This gives you enough time to (hopefully) complete the process in one season. Probably around early May but play it by ear.
and when to anticipate separation of upper layer?
Marsman suggests 3-4 months, but again you have to check to make sure there are sufficient roots to support the layer before you separate it.
What is the best tool for trunk chop? A Saw? What kind and is there anything I should be looking for in particular? Any recommends on brand/make?
I use something similar to this:

https://www.silkysaws.com/Silky-Hand-Saws/Silky-Folding-Hand-Saws/POCKETBOY-130-Fine-Teeth

The brand name may be different but it should have relatively fine teeth and be very sharp. Mine cuts on the pull stroke rather than the push stroke. You should be able to find something locally.

Make sure to get some rooting hormone too while you are gathering your supplies.

Norm

maveriiick

Gnome wrote:
Make sure to get some rooting hormone too while you are gathering your supplies.

Norm
I have rooting hormone, which I use for air-layering, but do I need it for a trunk chop?

Marsman
Green Thumb

No, by the time you chop, you should have all the roots you need.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

maveriiick,

And, I might add, neither do you need hormone for a conventional trunk chop, in case that was your question.

Norm

capnk
Newly Registered

Maveriiick,
We do dozens of layers every year, and here are a few tips.
In order to promote the growth of new roots, let the tree grow vigorously. Full sun, fertilizer, etc.
We've had some customers/students very disappointed in the results of their layer attempts because they tried to maintain their trees in bonsai show form while trying to grow the new roots. Let the leaders grow unpruned.
On timing: If you start the process in the spring, and then do the separation 4-5 months later, you will find yourself going into winter with new tender roots. That's ok if you have protection for the tree. As a matter of efficiency, we usually start layers in the spring and plan to separate the following spring.
Good luck,
Chris

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Chris,

Thanks for additional information, and welcome to the forum were glad to have you.

Norm

maveriiick

capnk wrote:Maveriiick,
We do dozens of layers every year, and here are a few tips.
In order to promote the growth of new roots, let the tree grow vigorously. Full sun, fertilizer, etc.
We've had some customers/students very disappointed in the results of their layer attempts because they tried to maintain their trees in bonsai show form while trying to grow the new roots. Let the leaders grow unpruned.
On timing: If you start the process in the spring, and then do the separation 4-5 months later, you will find yourself going into winter with new tender roots. That's ok if you have protection for the tree. As a matter of efficiency, we usually start layers in the spring and plan to separate the following spring.
Good luck,
Chris
May I ask what growth medium you use? Peat moss? Potting soil (slow drainage)? Bonsai soil (fast drainage)? A mix?
Thanx

capnk
Newly Registered

Maveriiick,
We usually use sphagnum.
Chris

maveriiick

capnk wrote:Maveriiick,
We usually use sphagnum.
Chris
One more clarification, is it Spagnum moss or Sphagnum Peat Moss?

https://www.irelandcalls.com/.59f6baf4

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

maveriiick,

Use the long fibered variety, not the finely ground stuff.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”