Marsman
Green Thumb

Harry Lauder's Walking Stick

Has anyone had any experience with making a Harry Lauder's Walking Stick into a bonsai? There is a local nursery that has one on sale for half price, but it's still going to run me $37. The root stock has thrown up some suckers that will need to be cut off. But the shrub itself is beautiful.

Any advice as to the viability of using this type of shrub for a bonsai?

GardenerX

hey I've never even heard of this tree but after looking at the name I found a intrest in it so I looked it up, but all I found on this tree being a Bonsai is this link......

https://www.bonsaigardener.org/training.html

I hope it helps

Marsman
Green Thumb

Well, I went and bought the tree today. I've been thinking about it all week. My teacher has never seen one used for a bonsai before, so I'll be the first I guess.

[img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/Harry%20Lauder/DSC_0003.jpg[/img]

[url=https://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/Harry%20Lauder/]Here are more shots of it.[/url]

GardenerX

wow it looks realy cool lol, oh did that link help or no if not srry all I could find on that but I was reading more about Shrubs and things as Bonsai and a few said their favorites were Harry Lauder's Walking Stick so anyways GOOD LUCK...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

A natural for tako zukuri styling...

HG

Marsman
Green Thumb

Scott,

Isn't that just a polite way to say "What a mess!" :D

[img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/Harry%20Lauder/Tako-Zukuri-Styling.jpg[/img]

Click on picture for larger version.

EDIT: [url=https://books.google.com/books?id=PoPD5hwB-K8C&pg=PA45&lpg=PA45&dq=tako+zukuri&source=bl&ots=c3Qsnd2shd&sig=REDG_zEvMqPENdxnvzCHBluRAY4&hl=en&ei=M6UKS5qDDpK4lAf9w4yFBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=tako%20zukuri&f=false]Link to picture above[/url]
Last edited by Marsman on Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

applestar
Mod

Interesting! Marsman, please edit your post and cite the source for the Tako Zukuri info. Thanks! :wink:

Marsman
Green Thumb

[url=https://books.google.com/books?id=PoPD5hwB-K8C&pg=PA45&lpg=PA45&dq=tako+zukuri&source=bl&ots=c3Qsnd2shd&sig=REDG_zEvMqPENdxnvzCHBluRAY4&hl=en&ei=M6UKS5qDDpK4lAf9w4yFBA&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CAgQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=tako%20zukuri&f=false]Done![/url] 8)

barnercora

You know those are pretty easy to propagate. Just cut some stem and stick it directly to a soil or pure perlite and at no time you will have rooted cuttings on walking stick(corkscrew willow).
I done it in perlite so I can see the roots forming, it's fun to watch.

Cora

mdvaden

Is that a type of Corylus like a contorted filbert variety?

Marsman
Green Thumb

mdvaden wrote:Is that a type of Corylus like a contorted filbert variety?
Yes it it. Here is a good write-up on it: [url=https://landscaping.about.com/od/floweringtrees/p/harry_lauder.htm]Link[/url]

Ray Ashton

I have a Corrolus Avallana Contorta and beleive me they are an excelent plant as a Bonsai. I am delighted with my Avallana (Harry Lauder ) (Named after the English Comedian. So I have been told. ) The soft round leaves are lovely, and mine has flowered each year since I placed in a Bonsai pot. I belong to 5 Bonsai clubs, I enjoy showing and displaying my Bonsai and place my Corrolus Avallana as well as other species on the show bench and also at Club annual shows. It has been a Bonsai for8 years now, My advice to any Bonsai lover is to join a local club, and you will learn more and enjoy the company of other Bonsai enthusists. Enjoy to the utmost your Bonsai.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

Ray,

Welcome to the forum, I glad to see an experienced grower from Australia with us. I sometimes find myself at a disadvantage when attempting to assist your fellow countrymen, your climate is a bit of a puzzle to me. Perhaps you would not mind having a look at a recent discussion?

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=105983#105983

Thanks, and again, welcome.

Norm

Ray Ashton

Thank's Gnome . I went to your suggestion and added my views. E.T.C. Our weather conditions in Australia are extremely difficult , and one of our top demonstrators lives in one of the hottest places in Australia. numerous days over 40+ several days in one week , for months at a time. The weather here has just reached 40' c ( 104 f ). I must end now. I have discovered a swarm of Bees have settled in my chimney, and several bees have come into my house. Cheerio for now. Ray Mel. Vic. Aus.

Ray Ashton

Harry Lauder. I have my H/L in a shaded position at the moment as the Temperature has reached 40' c ( 104 f ) we are expecting 40+. another Bee just arrived . spray. H/L have a soft leaf and are deciduous. Mine is almost the same shape and I reduced it to 18 " , and looks wonderful at the moment. They even look beautiful in the dormant ( nude ) stage. They can be displayed in winter or Summer / Autumn. One thing I don't have to wire this Bonsai. I potted my one in Spring and with T.L.C. 8 yrs ago and it has never looked back. Ray Mel. Vic. Aus.

Marsman
Green Thumb

Ray,

Thanks for your thoughts. I'm really looking forward to working on this tree. It's buried in the snow right now, but Spring is just around the corner. (I keep telling myself that. :roll: )

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yep, 104 degrees at Ray's and we haven't seen a day above freezing in weeks (I'm excited about a projected high of 38 degrees F for Thursday).

But it is coming...

HG
Last edited by The Helpful Gardener on Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marsman
Green Thumb

Here's a picture of my HL that I took this morning. 20 degrees Fahrenheit and buried in 6 inches of snow.

[url=https://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/Harry%20Lauder/?action=view&current=HL.jpg][img]https://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae50/marsman61/Bonsai/Harry%20Lauder/th_HL.jpg[/img][/url]

Ray Ashton

Hi. Your H/L must be cold. If it was mine I would certainly move it to an area where it won't be covered with ( what , about 15>20" of snow. I used to be an Ice skater, Figure, Pairs and Hockey, 7 days a week and 2 times on Saturdays and Sundays. Back to H/L. The best time to pot into a Bonsai pot, is your 1st inkling of Spring. I would take it out of the snow, and wire the branch that is on the tallest trunk, making that lower branch into another trunk. It is your tree to style. Your decision as to what you envisage you want it to look like and also what pleases you. The shape is very similar to mine. Q. How many Bonsai do you have please ?. Q. Have you potted any Bonsai, and if so how many. ?. If you chose to wire that branch up to form a 3rd trunk watch that the wire does not cut inn. I have not wired mine, but I would bring that branch up if it was my tree. I would keep an eye on the wiring as I have said so that the wire does not cut into the bark. I would take the wire off when I pot it up. If the branch drops down again, then I would wire it up again before potting. Regards Ray Melb. Aus.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Ray, the real beauty of snow is, it never gets colder than 0C. That's as cold as fresh water gets (unless you pressurize it or some other unnatural act). So MM's H/L's TOP midgt be a bit chilly, but the root's? 0C. S'all good...

HG

Marsman
Green Thumb

The HL is in its original nursery pot and buried in the ground. (I acquired it in the late fall of 09.) Snow is only 6-7 inches deep. It should be fine. Besides, I can't move it at this time, it's frozen into the ground.

Thank you Ray for your shaping ideas. When Spring finally creeps into New England, I'll start working on it.

As fore wiring, I have a very good teacher, Todd Hansen at [url=https://www.sanctuarybonsai.com/]Sanctuary Bonsai[/url]. I have wired a couple of trees with him assisting me and a few more on my own. I have potted a few trees and taken a class with Todd on potting techniques. I'm also a member of the Bonsai Society of Greater Hartford and have access to some very good friends there to help me.

Ray Ashton

Marsman. You are on the right track, and You definitely have expert tuition. The 5 clubs I belong to are like an apprenticeship. We have visiting Tutors from Interstate demonstrating and doing workshops as well as a Japanese Master every 2 years coming to Australia. Master HIRO SIATO. I have had the opportunity to do 2 workshops with ROY NAGASARKIE from the U.S.A. We were fortunate in 09 to have a Chinese Bonsai Master visiting Victoria Australia, Master SONG. ( Pronounced SOONG ). I went to 4 demonstrations by M aster SONG at the clubs I belong to. The AABC (Australian Associated Bonsai Clubs ) Australia wide Has a Convention every year in different States. This coming Year it will be held is Sydney. New South Wales. Australia. I don't know if you know how large Australia is but, it takes a 747 just on an hour to fly from Melbourne to Sydney and that is air time. Our nearest state is Adelaide. 747 takes 3/4 hr air time. To drive to Sydney from Melbourne. good Highways > Sydney 10>12 hrs. Adelaide 10 hrs. I have done a workshop with Marco Invernessy and Michael Persiano. Both Marco and Michael were at the AABC. convention as Guest demonstrators here in Melbourne. Michael was and is very popular here in Australia. Well good luck with your Harry Lauder. Regards Ray Ashton. 8)

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”