champdout
Newly Registered

8 inch 5 Yr Old Japanese Cedar Bonsai - How to Care for it?

I have recieved a 5 year old Japanese Cedar as a gift and reading up on Bonsai is something I am very much enjoying. The tree is about 8 inches tall but has not been pruned or sculpted. Its early November and by all accounts now is not the time to prune this type of tree. Am I correct? Also is pinching still recommended or can I use pruning shears when its time to prune my bonsai tree. Help is appreciated.

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

champdout,

Hello and welcome. I don't grow this species and your climate is much different than mine so I'm afraid that I cannot give specific advice. I think I would hold off on any pruning for a while, little harm can come from a little 'growing time'

I know that there are bonsai clubs in your area that should be able to help. Being new to bonsai, a local club would be a good idea anyway.

https://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/cryptomeria.html
https://www.bonsai4me.com/SpeciesGuide/Cryptomeria.html

Sorry I could not offer more.

Norm

champdout
Newly Registered

I think you are right Norm. I am just going to continue to water and feed through winter and see about pruning in Spring. I do appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post. Even if its to say you cannot offer advice, it is much appreciated to have someone actually take the time.
Thank You
Jesse

Marsman
Green Thumb

Champ,

Can you post up a picture of the cedar? I'd love to see what it looks like. And yeah, leave it till Spring. It's hard to do, but let it rest. Keep looking at it and try to envision the tree you want it to be.

Mars

champdout
Newly Registered

Ill get one up in a day or so. There are a couple of branches that are dying off and I have to believe its attribytable to the fact that when I unpackaged the tree, the medium would not accept water because it was so dryed out. I am sure some of the root system suffered from its lack of water in transport. But it has plenty of new growth in the month that I have had it. I guess a picture is worth a thousand words.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”