maveriiick

Watering Temperate Trees in Winter?

I have a number of japanese maples, a ginkgo, a mulberry, and some chinese elms that will be kept in a cold room/solarium and I anticipate the temperature to fall just below zero (hopefully no lower than 10 degrees celcius ~ 15 F). I plan on putting them in boxes filled with mulch for extra care of the roots as these trees will be in bonsai or nursery pots.

How are trees assessed for watering in winter if kept in the ground, cold room, or garage?

Also how much water do you provide? Any threat of the water freezing?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

maveriiick,

I essentially water the same as I do during summer, as needed. Just check them periodically and water as required. I still water thoroughly just not as often. When you do water do so while temperatures are above freezing, do not water a frozen pot. Water during the daytime so that excess water can drain before the possibility of freezing. The water in the soil will freeze and the soil will be hard at times but that is not the same thing as having the roots freeze.

Norm

maveriiick

I'm curious to known how all those who keep bonsai check their trees to determine if water is needed?

Finger? How deep?
Chopstick? what to look for?
Moisture meter?
Weight of pot?
Soil appearance, what to look for?
Tree signs/symptoms?
etc.

djlen
Green Thumb

After you've been at this for a while you will develop a 'knack' for how the soil feels and know when it's time to water your trees/plants.
Until then I would suggest that you go to the super market and pick up a bag of shish-kabob or fondue skewers. They are dirt cheap and have many uses in our hobby, one of which is testing soil moisture.
Stick one into the soil....let sit for a minute or two and pull it out. If it comes out moist it's not time. If it's dry with nothing sticking to it, it's time to water.
Then wipe the skewer off for the next use.
:D :shock:

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

maveriiick,

Len is correct, after a while you will know which trees should be watered daily during their peak growing season and which can skip a day, still being observant of course. Don't rely on the surface alone as the moisture content of the soil can be very different below.

The chopstick/skewer/ method is effective to help get a feeling for a given tree, I still use it for certain trees. One suggestion though, since they are so cheap (about a buck for a 100) I prefer to simply leave one in place. Each day remove it, observe the color, or hold it to your cheek if you are not squeamish, it is pretty easy to discern which pots need watered and which do not.

One of the easiest things for a beginner to do is water too frequently, especially since many mass-produced bonsai (or nursery trees that have yet to be re-potted) are potted in an overly water retentive medium. At the time of year that water usage is at a maximum a tree should dry, and require watering, daily. At other times of the year this will be lessened.

Norm

Marsman
Green Thumb

A lady at my club suggested using ice cubes in the winter. If it's warm enough, the cubes will melt and water your plant for you. I haven't done this myself, but it was an interesting idea.

djlen
Green Thumb

When I keep mine sheltered and under a roof of some sort I've taken lose of powdered snow an put it one the soil to melt when it got warm enough.
That way my trees got watered when the rest of the plants in the yard did.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”