japanpsyhic
Cool Member

Japanese Maple Bonsai Help

I have started a branch clipping from a Japanese Maple, and am sad to say that it has a tiny spot of white mold. I believe this is from bad soil choice. I have it in this garden mix that has manure in it. Not good? What is the best soil type for a Japanese Maple? Top soil fertilizer mix?
Also, what do people mean by organic, and inorganic soil? Never really caught onto that yet.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm not a bonsai grower, so not expert about this, but I've been reading our Bonsai forum for a long time now, so I can share from what I've read.

You are probably right about mold or other fungus meaning your soil is holding too much moisture. Bonsai trees generally need very free draining medium, that doesn't retain much moisture. That's where the organic and inorganic comes in. Organic basically means carbon based, derived from life. It includes top soil, peat moss, bark etc. Inorganic is not carbon based, basically rock/ mineral. Some bonsai growers use an organic/ inorganic mixture, some use all or almost all inorganic. The inorganic does not hold water (or not very much, some rock is a bit porous).

Starting out your best bet would probably be to buy prepackaged bonsai soil at a garden shop.

japanpsyhic
Cool Member

I think I found some good soil. How about...
Bonsai Soil - Joebonsai Complete Potting Soil - One Quart

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

japanpsyhic,

RBG has hit on the main points of soil for bonsai. Free draining yet retaining enough moisture to maintain the plant. [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3422]This[/url] should help as well.

What type of cuttings did you take and how are you keeping them. The reason I ask is that now is the wrong time of year to take softwood cuttings (my Maples are still green :roll: ) and perhaps a little early to take hardwood cuttings.

Hardwood cuttings are usually held over in a cool greenhouse setting, not in a warm environment such as our homes. Often bottom heat is provided to help the hardwood cuttings root.

Now is the time to think about next years Maple seeds if your inclined to pursue that method. One more thing, Maples are not the easiest to root. If you have access to the tree on a regular basis perhaps you should look into air layering.

Norm

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”