maveriiick

Watering - Submersion vs Regular topsoil watering

I Have heard so many conflicting remarks concerning submersion of bonsai. Some bonsaists say it's bad and causes salt accumulation, etc. while others see it as the best way to saturate the soil so that air pockets are not left with regular watering. What is correct? All the nurseries that I have bought bonsai from (large and bonsai specific) say to water by submersion, yet there are many who say the opposite. I've done both, but prefer the submersion method, but I don't want to put my trees in detriment in case there is factual reasons against submersion. Please help.
Thanx

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

maveriiick,
I Have heard so many conflicting remarks concerning submersion of bonsai. Some bonsaists say it's bad and causes salt accumulation, etc. while others see it as the best way to saturate the soil so that air pockets are not left with regular watering. What is correct?
Both concepts have some validity. The occasional soaking (submersion) will ensure that your soil is thoroughly saturated. A tree that has inadvertently been allowed to become too dry will benefit from submersion. So will a newly potted tree, I do water from above first though to flush out any fines or dust.

By watering from the top you flush out any accumulated salts or minerals that may be in your water. If you water by submersion exclusively these may build up excessively. Also, submersion becomes increasingly impractical as your collection grows. It is much easier to water outdoor trees from above with a garden hose or watering can.

Norm

Rosaelyn

No offense to nurseries that deal with legitimate bonsai, but I've discovered that some nursery "bonsai" are the type with the rocks glued on. So they advise the submersion method because this is the only way to water them.

Since removing the glued on rocks from my Fukien Tea, I've always watered from above. :)

djlen
Green Thumb

I remember years ago when I used to water my trees with this method and I put one into a vat full of water and the whole thing just popped out of the pot like a cork. :)
Since then I've used the top watering method. I feed minute amounts of nutrients with every feeding so it just works better for me this way.

maveriiick

Is there any objective scientific analysis of watering methods or horticultural study? It's crazy, but this is commonly discussed with support for both sides, but all the evidence is case-based or Anecdotal.

Return to “BONSAI FORUM”